Free clinics

I was recently approached to volunteer at a local free clinic with a local NP. My employer will extend my malpractice to cover my activities there. However, my SP does not volunteer there nor will he be available for consultation. I suppose technically I could phone our clinic's doc on call for any questions, but since this free clinic is not affiliated with my work, the on-call doc would be unhappy (to say the least) if I did actually call. I don't really anticipate any situations that would arise necessitating a call to a doc. Either it's something we can deal with, or we send them to the ER. It's mainly BP checks, DM checks, coughs/OMs, non-emergent things that I'm used to seeing, just would be homeless, not-so-legal immigrants, and people who have no insurance. CP, stroke sx, SOB, lethargic kids, BP >170/100, BS >300, big lacerations, broken bones - all get referred to the ER. After 4.5 years of practicing in the ghetto, I'm finally comfortable enough to do a clinic like this with no doctor immediately available. So, I guess my concerns are more legal than anything. Are PAs permitted to do this without an SP immediately available?

I was recently approached to volunteer at a local free clinic with a local NP. My employer will extend my malpractice to cover my activities there. However, my SP does not volunteer there nor will he be available for consultation. I suppose technically I could phone our clinic's doc on call for any questions, but since this free clinic is not affiliated with my work, the on-call doc would be unhappy (to say the least) if I did actually call. I don't really anticipate any situations that would arise necessitating a call to a doc. Either it's something we can deal with, or we send them to the ER. It's mainly BP checks, DM checks, coughs/OMs, non-emergent things that I'm used to seeing, just would be homeless, not-so-legal immigrants, and people who have no insurance. CP, stroke sx, SOB, lethargic kids, BP >170/100, BS >300, big lacerations, broken bones - all get referred to the ER. After 4.5 years of practicing in the ghetto, I'm finally comfortable enough to do a clinic like this with no doctor immediately available. So, I guess my concerns are more legal than anything. Are PAs permitted to do this without an SP immediately available?

I worked in a Salvation Army Free Clinic for about six years. If I remember right, the Medical Director of the free clinic, an MD who also volunteered his time, had a supervisory agreement with the PAs and residents who worked there.

Archived