Advice on Matriculating into New, Provisionally Accredited Program

Hello all!

I have an interview coming up at a brand new PA program set to launch next summer. If accepted, I just want to gather some thoughts/advice about matriculating into a provisionally accredited program and its pros/cons. I would be receiving $15K off admission for being in the inaugural class. However, am I guaranteed to sit for the PANCE at the end of my two years in a provisional program? Does anyone know if this will affect my getting a job with an M.D. after having graduated from this new PA program? I feel as if they'd rather hire a PA from a fully accredited program.

This new program looks promising: great faculty, a whole building dedicated to PA studies, and a possible collaboration with an Ivy League Medical School in the works. I just want to know if I should grab the opportunity if they present it (they only give me 3 weeks to put in a deposit if accepted) or say no and hold out for interviews at fully accredited programs.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thank you!!:smile:

Do you feel comfortable addressing your concern in the interview? With tact of course. Do you think they could do things to relieve your concern? i.e. relationship with an Ivy League institution? Why not ask them if they are doing those things?

Also I THINK as long as you enter a program that is accredited at the time of entrance (provisional or otherwise) you are guarantee to take the Pance. Check with ARC-PA to be certain.

You have to consider though, with provisional programs matriculating their first class, there's an immense amount of pressure to do exceedingly well in the boards. My undergrad which just graduated their first PA class this year was very proud to boast a 100% pass rate at the PANCE. Interestingly enough, much like the program the OP is considering, this new PA program was also allied with an Ivy League institution (Hint, hint, it's Dartmouth).

It's up to the OP really, but I have no doubt that this new program was especially selective with their inaugural class. Given how tough acceptance is at other PA schools already, I'd take it as a compliment if I were even considered for a spot. As for getting hired, if our program director is anyone to go by, most employers are happy enough that you passed the PANCE. Related job experience (if any), and especially your connections would play much bigger roles than where you graduated from. The prestige of the allied Ivy League wouldn't hurt either. Lastly, the feedback they get from your class will greatly affect how they further develop the program. Wouldn't you be proud in helping shape the future of this PA program?

Having been in this position, I'll tell you how I handled it. During my interview, I asked what resources/structures are in place to assist/support student success on their PANCE. The program director, not new to being a program director, stated quite clearly the programs and systems she had in place at her previous university. In addition, because the same university also had a medical school, the preparatory systems for the med students were already establishing similar resources for the PA students.

So, in the end, where's the beef? It comes down to the program itself and you. I would have ZERO hesitation in entering a program that is provisional. The reason? It is in the school's best interest to follow all guidelines to be accredited and be established as a program. At every school's core is that they are there to make money. As such, to accept students and that class NOT be able to graduate/sit for the PANCE would be a huge monetary opportunity lost. So, given that logic, rest assured your school will likely be fine.

If you have offers at established schools, should you take them over a new one? That's really a personal decision. Too many applicants go to any program that will accept them. They do little to know critical evaluation of the program itself to see if the program is a fit for them and go to a school simply because they were accepted. If you feel good about this program and feel that you will have the greatest opportunity to learn in an environment that you feel will better fit your future career goals and more importantly yield a better provider to your future patients, then go for it.

Those that would go to a program simply because they were accepted do a disservice to the other students to whom the program would be a better fit, their own education and in turn the quality of care that they will deliver to their future patients because they did not critically evaluate the environment in which they were trained. Does that mean that if you're accepted to one program, it's also not an ideal fit? Of course not. I would say that as long as you honestly evaluated that program and honestly agree that it is a fit for your goals and learning style, then go for it. The cost of attending is a non-issue. The length of the program is a non-issue. Reputation of the program, also a non-issue. If it is the best place for you to learn, then that's all that matters. As a wise man once said, "They all lead to the PANCE, so go where you can learn the most from".

Best of luck and congratulations.

Thank you all so much. Tremendous advice (: And as far as this program goes, I feel great about it. It's very close to home for me, facilities look promising and the director has worked in educating PAs in amazing programs throughout the country. I am very excited for my interview and hope I am offered a spot!!

Thanks again everyone

Thank you all so much. Tremendous advice (: And as far as this program goes, I feel great about it. It's very close to home for me, facilities look promising and the director has worked in educating PAs in amazing programs throughout the country. I am very excited for my interview and hope I am offered a spot!!

Thanks again everyone

Best of luck to you! Kick butt at the interview!

like others have said before me, I dont think you have much to worry about...as far as accreditation and PANCE goes. Every new school is provisionally accredited, which = exactly the same as FULL accreditation with the addition of MORE FREQUENT site reviews, and more paperwork for your program director. As long as you pass the program you will be able to sit for the PANCE, and but the time your applying for a job the school will probably be fully accredited.

That being said, there are other drawbacks to a new program. IE: potentially new teachers and faculty, potentially new curricula, no alumni/second year students.

I am a student at a new program and the excitement of the faculty to start off right far outweighs the (mostly) minor bumps in the road so far.

I was in the third class in a new program and, at the time I started, the first class had not yet taken the PANCE. Since there was no track record, I was impressed with the experience of the program director and the attitude of everyone I met. I asked a student in the class ahead of us what she didn't like. "Things are always changing. They keep putting out new class schedules...Someone complains and they adjust things."

She saw that as a negative; I saw it as a responsive place that wanted to get the class through to the best of their ability. The school had several advantages to me personally: smaller school, smaller class, nice little town to live in, closer to home, could do my clinicals from home, etc. I accepted and found things to be as I expected.

Sometimes you have to follow your hunches.

Archived