Please review my personal narrative! Any comment will be appreciated!

One second she was talking and the next, her head fell back and her mouth swung open. I quickly ran to her side to see if she was okay. Not sure of what just happened, I was able to remain calm and I called for someone to get help. I began to look over her as I waited. She was breathing, but she was unconscious and unresponsive. Her pulse and respiration rate were within normal range. I prepared myself mentally in case I had to perform CPR. The nurse walked in and recommended that we take her to the hospital and I was the one to accompany her there.

Susan is a patient that I work with in Day habilitation. She is a 50 year old woman with “mental retardation”. She is unable to speak, but can utter a few sounds. When I walked into the room, she made happy noises. She reached out for my hand and I was right there to welcome it. I held it tightly. I was able to provide her with comfort and hope as though I were her family. I communicated on her behalf and gave the Physician’s Assistant all the information regarding Susan. Almost instantly I took a liking to the PA on Susan’s case. I couldn’t help but admire her dedication and compassion. She truly seemed to care. It didn’t matter to her that Susan was older or “mentally retarded”. It just mattered that Susan was in the hospital and the PA was there to help her out. She worked well with the other PA’s, and was great under pressure. Not many people can handle situations like these so calmly and rationally. Many of the qualities that I saw in this PA are qualities that I see in myself. I’m good under pressure. I’m medically savvy and care deeply about the welfare of others. It is because of this that I believe would make me an excellent Physician’s Assistant.

I grew up aspiring to work in the medical field. I knew that if nothing else in this world, my purpose in life was to help people. Up until college, I wanted to be a doctor. My passion for children peaked my interest in becoming a pediatrician. By the time I graduated college, I was between medical school and continuing my degree in psychology to become a psychologist. After graduating from college, I worked a year in a Mental Health residential home. During my time there, I learned a lot about the population and learned to respect and understand people who are not exactly like me. This really fueled my interest in the medical field; yet I was still at a crossroad in my life. With these ideas fresh in my mind I unexpectedly ended up in the hospital. To say it was the most anxiety-ridden night of my life would be an understatement. My heart was racing. Sweat was running down my face. The word pain doesn’t seem fitting for what I was feeling that night. The next morning I was told by the overseeing doctor that I had pericarditis. Thankfully, it was a treatable condition that the doctors assured me would go away with time. What really stood out to me during this time was the care that I was given by the doctors and the PAs. It’s the kind of treatment that you would want for yourself and your family members. It was truly unforgettable. I repeatedly thanked the doctor and she said that she would tell her team of PAs as well. It wasn’t until that night that I was introduced to the field of PA.

Eager to find out more about these people who helped me so much, I researched the role of a PA in health care. The PA’s showed me so much compassion and care that I knew they must be a special bunch. It takes a special kind of person to deal with people who are sick. The more I learned about the field the more excited I became. I loved everything about it. I loved the level of patient interaction and the ability to work on a team. I especially loved the idea of lateral mobility. Very few careers are able to achieve that kind of system. I started to realize that many aspects of being a physician’s assistant coincided with the qualities that I would love to see in my future career. I spoke to PAs and a few doctors about my desire to become a PA. They all welcomed the idea and gave me their advices. It was at this point that I realized with certainty that I didn’t want to become a doctor or a psychologist, but rather a Physician’s assistant. I no longer had to second guess myself. I no longer had to research and contemplate what I wanted my career to be. It was clear. The experiences that I had were all pointing me in the direction of becoming a PA. My dedication and compassion, as well as my ability to work under pressure and work well on a team makes me confident that I will be an excellent Physician’s Assistant. One day, I will have my own “Susan” as my patient in which hopefully I will be able to spark the interest of becoming a PA in someone else’s life.

• 2 weeks later...

Stop talking about how much you love stuff. It sounds fickle and like you haven't put real thought into any of it. Also, you talk about how great the PAs were when you were in the hospital but don't actually talk about what made you see them that way. All in all, the information you give to support your decision is rather vague and not in the least reassuring of your commitment to the profession.

Archived