ADN-RN: Should I finish my RN-BSN or get my BSc in Biology for PA?

Hi y'all. :)

New here. I am an RN wanting to make the jump to PA. I knew my last semester of RN school I would have to make a career change sooner rather than later.

I have my ADN right now, and got accepted to do my Bachelor's in Biology. It would take me about 3 years since I have to work fulltime. I am shadowing a cardiologist for my hours. He will probably hire me some time down the road while doing my bio degree, and should help me with flexibility. That way I may finish quicker but it isn't written in stone.

However, I can complete my RN-BSN online at the same Uni I want to apply for PA, and complete a Minor in Bio in less than 3 years. Not much sooner, but still it would save me some time.

My question is, would it be worth it to complete the BSc in Bio even though it would take me more time? Or should I just go for the online RN-BSN and a minor in Bio should cut it? I hate theoretical nursing classes so just thinking about it makes me sick, lol. But it is tempting to finish 2 or 3 semesters sooner. Would the BSN be looked at highly upon, or would having my degree in Bio be much more appreciated? I am sure getting a degree in Bio would make PA school easier. What would you do?

I think either is fine. I don't think the BSN would be looked up anymore favorably. A RN is a RN in practice. BSN doesn't make you more astute clinically and the completion courses won't be looked at as academically rigorous.. Weigh the pros and cons of better upper level classes that will be looked at favorably (if you do well in them), but take longer vs. BSN finish sooner, but the hell of more nursing classes.

@enfermeraRN:

The undergraduate degree you earn is not usually relevant to a PA admission decision. Your patient care experience as an RN will be useful because you've been "in the trenches" providing care for some time. There is no admissions-related reason to join the biology program. Any major is acceptable for the vast, vast majority of programs.

I suggest completing the prerequisites in a timely manner and applying when you are most qualified. Programs are becoming more competitive so your focus should be on entering quickly and competitively.

Best,

Josh Morrison

Director, Student Enrollment Services

IU School of Health & Rehabilitation Sciences, IUPUI

http://www.shrs.iupui.edu

paadmit@iupui.edu

Oneal: thanks for your reply. I am leaning towards biology. I am wondering how many courses I could take together while working my 3 12s as an RN. I have never taken physics for example lol but theoretical bio courses I generally never have had trouble in. What would you suggest?

It would depend on quite a few things, if I knew the professor was easier (Ex. You had an easy guy for bio 1 so maybe stack an extra class if you take bio 2 with them), was I good at this subject, what else is going on in my life, ect.

I personally would never do more than 3, probably 2 most times, and take break some terms with just one, or just one if I thought it would be difficult like orgo. But that's me and I know what I am capable of and how much free time I had as an RN on my unit to study.

@enfermeraRN:

The undergraduate degree you earn is not usually relevant to a PA admission decision. Your patient care experience as an RN will be useful because you've been "in the trenches" providing care for some time. There is no admissions-related reason to join the biology program. Any major is acceptable for the vast, vast majority of programs.

I suggest completing the prerequisites in a timely manner and applying when you are most qualified. Programs are becoming more competitive so your focus should be on entering quickly and competitively.

Best,

Josh Morrison

Director, Student Enrollment Services

IU School of Health & Rehabilitation Sciences, IUPUI

http://www.shrs.iupui.edu

paadmit@iupui.edu[/quote

Is it really going to be that much more competitive over 2-3 semesters, sir?

I believe this man is steering you towards the BSN. PERSONALLY, if someone had a gun to my head and say "redo your BSN," I would tell them to pull the trigger.

Just me, so I would rather take longer and be more satisfied.

He is an admissions guy, but I would think have physics, micro, immunology, ect, would look a lot better on an application than just prereqs. That is, again, if you can do well in them. Maybe not necessary, but looks good and will help with other sciences later in school.

The point is just do what you like. As long as you have a good GPA, you'll be fine.

Now I am really insecure about what to do, haha. I think I should see an adviser at my school to see what they think. @Oneal I think I can handle a large amount of coursework per semester... I worked throughout my nursing program and did above average... Plus I don't have kids or anything. It just feels like I will never get out of school. Sigh.

@IndianaU-PA: Most people are gearing me to the BSN, but then again most people advising me so far are RNs. I would complete the program sooner doing the BSN, though. And I have seen people apply and get accepted to PA programs with business degrees and art degrees. I guess I have much thinking to do. I wanna make sure I make the right decision!

And I have seen people apply and get accepted to PA programs with business degrees and art degrees. I guess I have much thinking to do. I wanna make sure I make the right decision!

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in here.

My advice... pick a major that is going to help you get through your first session of school. Your clinical experience as a RN will help you with the rest.

I was a career changer and I got into PA school with a BA in Communications (2002) and an MBA (2006).

I'll tell you now that nothing will fully prepare you for your first set of classes. I will also tell you through mere observation that the physiology, nutrition, and anatomy majors are performing better than the non-traditional students in our class (myself included).

As I am mid way through my 1st semester of PA school I wish I had taken more biology / physiology classes to help me with the material. It's not that I don't understand the material... its just that there is SO MUCH OF IT!

And to be honest most of this was easy to recall for these students but for me and the non-traditionals we felt like we were rememorizing it all over from scratch. You'll find out that PA school is really a game of time management. So any opportunity you can take now that'll result in you spending less time studying a subject during PA school then take it!

So if I were you I would pick a major that will not ruin your GPA and be super hard, but choose a major where you're going to have these same concepts and terms repeated all the time to help you recall it later.

Best of luck!

Archived