Navigating the mountain of paperwork with your first hospital-based job

Guest SLP2PA

David, thank you so very much! I appreciate that! :) How about if one plans to practice as both at the same time, though, like part time SLP and part time PA, or part time PA and per diem SLP, etc.? Well, most my employers right now do not require the NPI to practice SLP, I have only had one employer ask about it, so I'm sure it would most likely work fine to just switch it to PA when the time comes, and not bother with it for SLP.

Thanks again!

David, thank you so very much! I appreciate that! :) How about if one plans to practice as both at the same time, though, like part time SLP and part time PA, or part time PA and per diem SLP, etc.? Well, most my employers right now do not require the NPI to practice SLP, I have only had one employer ask about it, so I'm sure it would most likely work fine to just switch it to PA when the time comes, and not bother with it for SLP.

Thanks again!

You could probably do that. As long as there are different employers you could even associate the SLP number with one and PA number with another. There would probably be liability issues here though.

David Carpenter, PA-C

• 1 year later...
Guest ddddyyyy

This forum is very good, I like, I agree with that point of view above,I support you!

Experience is the father of wisdom and memory the mother.

** I deleted your ads at the bottom of this post.... la

• 2 months later...

what is the consequence if you can't account for every moment of the last 15 years or if you have had time between jobs? I am planning to go to PA school in about 2 years. Will the time I had between jobs or the fact that I am not working while going to school now count against me when I get out and apply for jobs? I have had stretches (3-5 mos) in my life as well where I was not working and lived off my savings, of course at the time I had no idea that I would have to provide that level of detail to anyone!

I had something like this come up; I graduated high school 21 years ago, and I was asked to account for everything since then. Finally I called in and spoke to the person at the state Board who was assembling everything; she clued me in that it didn't have to be terribly specific and there was no big deal if my year was spent "preparing to attend college in the fall of 1990." That was enough of an "accounting" of the time for them. So my advice is to make sure you know how specific they need you to be.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mstockwin

This is a very helpful list! I have another question. I am currently filling out the paperwork for the credentialing process for my first job. Last week I received paperwork which I was required to fill out regarding a former classmate who had listed me as a peer reference for her own credentialing process. Now she has found that the process cannot go forward until each reference returns the given paperwork. I was just wondering if this is a standard procedure for every hospital credentialing process, or if it is rare for references to be required to fill out paperwork. Someone suggested that since it was a VA hospital that they may be more strict than others? Any thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest robertjonespa7

Are PA's credentialed as "LIP"'s in the hospital? I was given alot of grief by Joint Commission because they didn't think a PA could work the ER without a doctor being physically present in ER. We're a rural hospital and my supervising physician is 100 feet away in the Clinic. Any help appreciated!

Are PA's credentialed as "LIP"'s in the hospital? I was given alot of grief by Joint Commission because they didn't think a PA could work the ER without a doctor being physically present in ER. We're a rural hospital and my supervising physician is 100 feet away in the Clinic. Any help appreciated!

We are not LIP's strickly speaking but if they go read the definition section of the same JACHO reg's the PA question gets addressed - I also think that these have been addressed with the new 2010 guidelines (yeah that would put them in their place to quote the new guidelines :-) )

I did a quick search and found the below.... doesn't really answer it and I may be wrong in the above statement but atleast this gets you started....

I have found a great amount of misinformation about the JCAHO standards and have printed them out every year and studied them just so I knew what was the correct answer.

http://www.jointcommission.org/patientsafety/nationalpatientsafetygoals/

http://www.jointcommission.org/AccreditationPrograms/LongTermCare/Standards/09_FAQs/PC/Delegation_HP.htm

and

UP.01.02.01

Mark the procedure site.

Elements of Performance for UP.01.02.01

1. Identify those procedures that require marking of the incision or insertion site. At a minimum, sites are marked when there is more than one

possible location for the procedure and when performing the procedure in a different location would negatively affect quality or safety.

Note: For spinal procedures, in addition to preoperative skin marking of the general spinal region, special intraoperative imaging techniques

may be used for locating and marking the exact vertebral level.

2. Mark the procedure site before the procedure is performed and, if possible, with the patient involved.

3. The procedure site is marked by a licensed independent practitioner who is ultimately accountable for the procedure and will be present when

the procedure is performed. In limited circumstances, the licensed independent practitioner may delegate site marking to an individual who is

permitted by the organization to participate in the procedure and has the following qualifications:

- An individual in a medical residency program who is being supervised by the licensed independent practitioner performing the procedure; who

is familiar with the patient; and who will be present when the procedure is performed

- A licensed individual who performs duties requiring a collaborative agreement or supervisory agreement with the licensed independent

practitioner performing the procedure (that is, an advanced practice registered nurse (A.P.R.N.) or physician assistant (P.A.)); who is familiar

with the patient; and who will be present when the procedure is performed.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

this is a good post, I wish my program spent time on what paper wok to file. I barely even knew how to fill for a license. am gonna use this as a reference.

does anyone know how long after i fill for my license for the state, will it get approved?

Archived