Supplemental Application Question

For the supplemental essay questions, are schools looking for stories that demonstrate experience or more straight forward answers? I'd be very grateful for any feedback on my answer to this question. Do you think I am answering their question? Thanks in advance!

In one- two paragraphs, what is your greatest potential contribution to the class?

I believe my broad exposure from my role as an assistant to ER physicians will allow me to contribute greatly. I have learned how to elicit a detailed history from the patient, record pertinent data, and perform routine procedures such as blood draw, EKG, wound care, and splinting. My co-workers call me the ‘vein whisperer’ as, with experience, I’ve improved my ability to find veins on difficult patients. On a daily basis I have assisted with suture placement, incision and drainage, IVs, discussed lab results with patients and imaging results. Once I have conferred with the physician, I have also gained experience advising patients on how to proceed after leaning their lab results. Being in the room from the beginning of the exam to the end, I have studied and observed the doctors bedside manners and how patients respond to different approaches. I’ve been a part of examination and treatment of a range of complaints. One result of that exposure is I have become familiar with many classes of drugs and why they are prescribed. I believe and thrive in a culture of collaboration and teamwork and look forward to sharing my experiences with my classmates as well as learning from their experiences as well.

I feel that supplemental questions should not reflect anything in your app and is your chance to let the ad coms no more about you as an applicant. So nothing should be repeated from your PS. I personally do not think you are answering the question. I feel that you start to deviate from the question as paragraph continues. You start describing your job which should be in your job section of the app. This question is similar to mine which was what is greatest strength as an upcoming Pa student and I put some pertaining to - my curiousity allows me to go above and beyond the required reading and I learn to master the concepts and material so I can put it into my own words and explain it in different ways, this allows me to help tutor fellow students whom are unclear of the material. It sounded a lot better and longer but that is the gist of it. Find what you want to tell the adcoms which hasn't been said yet. Supp questions are your chance to do so

Archived