Applying for a license in another state

I am currently living and working as a PA in Florida. However, I have made the decision to move to another state for work. I am looking in various states right now and every time I send out my resume they ask if I have applied for my license in that state. Do you guys think I should start applying for a license in another state even though I am not sure as of right now which state I'm gonna finally end up in. Also, is it bad to have too many state licenses, if you are not practicing in those states? Thank you for any assistance.

You should definitely get another state/s license. You have to figure that those applying for the same job have a state license or it is in the works. I know from 1st hand experience that applying w/o a license is recipe for not getting the job. I currently am licensed in 3 states, and It is not an issue.

Having too many state licenses makes you look desperate and shows that you'd leave in a second. Not a sign of reliability. It's like having too many girlfriends.

Not sure I agree with this.. Many folks moonlight, in my area, having many state licenses is not looked upon as an indicator of being a "vagabond".

I don't know of any detriment to having as many as you need, and as many as you desire to Maintain.

for a while I held 3 active licenses and recently dropped the one I was not using when it came up for renewal.

keep in mind that you need a separate DEA for each state as well if you will be writing controlled substances.

I now have 2 state licenses and 2 DEAs.

I work with several folks who have 2-5 state licenses. I don't think it makes you look desparate, I think it makes you look like you have a variety of experiences(assuming you use all the licenses).

I have a good em pa friend who regularly works in OR/WA/HI/AK. very experienced dude. PA since 1980 or so.

I am licensed in WA, OR, AK, AR, and NC. Odd, I have never had trouble finding work or getting THE job I want. It could be my 25 plus years of experience overrides my license hx :-). Or the fact I usually have one full time and one part time job at the same time. Of it could be, the employer doesn't care how many licenses I have. Usually having a license in a state where i am looking at working is a plus for the employer. I can't think of any situation where it'd be a negative!

Archived