Studying abroad in spring - CASPA?

I plan on studying abroad in the spring if 2014, & graduating upon coming back. All my degree requirements will have been me by fall semester, so no prerequisites are left for PA school. However, many programs I am looking at do run from mid January to May at the earliest, and I would like my applications out early. (Hopefully, have it all prepared before I go abroad - letters of recommendation, GRE, personal statement, etc). Is it recommended or feasible for me to just access and send out my application while abroad?

Also, keep in mind / research your school's requirements regarding supplemental apps. I know some schools will accept and start reviewing your application without it (also submitted online, usually), but some will hold up your application until those are submitted.

The LOR process is pretty easy, but I would definitely make sure you have internet access often enough to check your LORs' progress, as some people have trouble accessing the system, etc.

To answer your earlier question, CASPA opens mid April and the first mailing isn't until the first (ish) week of June. I submitted 5/24 this year after my final official transcript was ready to go and mine was verified in time for the first shipment. Try to E-submit in May to guarantee you'll be in the first or first few mailings.

@OP, UGoLong is correct, most supplementals that I've filled out so far have been online (eliminating the hassle with international mail and so forth), but some of them have particular dates that they "open" online. USC's come to mind, since my CASPA was submitted in mid-May, and USC didn't open their supplemental until June 1st. Just something to keep in mind as you soak in international life.

But whatever you do, don't miss the opportunity. :) I studied abroad in Australia, and it was (and remains) one of the greatest periods of my life. Truly enriching and fascinating.

Thanks for all the advice! I am considering Italy for the arts because I originally was a double major with studio art. It may not be directly medically related, but I do believe it will still be an enriching experience.

Ktcan10, do you mind if I ask why you chose Australia and what you studied there? It is another option I am considering.

1. Submit CASPA as early as possible. End of May or mid July is a good goal.

2. Check websites for supplementals - 1/2 of schools will have them where you can do them then (in which case, complete by the time you finish CASPA). 1/2 of schools will email you supplementals after they recieve your CASPA - complete these online as they become available.

3. No big deal if you don't submit app by end of May. While sooner is better, I doubt there is much difference for all apps submitted before early June.

Archived