Osteopathic v. allopathic?

Hello all! I applied to JWU's PA program in RI, it is still pending accreditation. They let me know they got my application but I recently received an e-mail saying they want me to verify my patient care experience. I am a CNA in an assisted living facility, however, most of these residents do not belong in AL but belong in a nursing home. They require the care that can only be given in skilled nursing facilities but they have the money to stay at AL; basically, we end up doing tons of side work on top of physically backbreaking work. I would consider the experience I get at AL just as valuable as nursing home experience but I don't know how I should go about verifying this with the school as "osteopathic". ??

New program I assume? Affiliated with an osteopathic school? (There is no DO school in RI.)

I can't imagine why a PA program cares a whit about osteopathic vs allopathic. Even those programs sponsored by DO schools don't teach their PA students osteopathic diagnosis and treatment (the ones that come to mind: Des Moines U, LMU-DCOM in TN, Western U-Pomona, CA).

Confused....

I was confused too...basically, I have to verify my work at the Assisted Living Facility I'm employed at is either allopathic OR osteopathic. My understanding is that allopathic is traditional medicine which describes what I do most accurately. So I have to send an e-mail outlining my duties in an allopathic clinical setting...I don't know if this is procedural for the school for all applicants (yes, it is an up & coming program) or if they want to know more about my experience individually.

I think you may be missing the point of the verification. The point is not whether or not it was allopathic OR osteopathic, its likely they don't care, the point is that you can't work at a spa and call it healthcare experience. Also, I am confused at your understanding of "skilled nursing", just because your patients need skilled nursing doesn't mean you can throw that in at an assisted living facility. It takes a skilled nursing staff and facility to actively offer skilled nursing.

Just describe your duties and put down the name of the place and whatever info it asks for to verify and be done.

Focus on the big picture :)

Archived