Does anyone know why Tech’s PA program was put on accreditation probation by ARC-PA? My sister goes there and she said they won’t tell them why.

16. Is the program currently accredited?

Yes, the TTUHSC PA Program is accredited - status probation, through the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant through March, 2015.

http://www.ttuhsc.edu/sah/mpa/pa_faq.aspx

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had heard from an undisclosed source that there were consistent errors with paperwork, etc. I have heard from current students though, that it still is a great program and they love the faculty there. Their PANCE pass results are pretty easy to find and look just fine... just click "Physician Assistant Pass Rate Summary" on this web page: http://www.ttuhsc.edu/sah/mpa/.

I will say though, I called a few months ago asking and they sighed before affirming that they were under probation. I almost felt bad asking. They don't want to advertise this as it is bad press and would ward off applicants. Needless to say I still applied because of all the other good things I've heard about it. I was honestly waiting to see a post about this, haha.

My sister goes to Tech and is trying to transfer out. When the Tech PA program was put on probation the faculty told her class that it was only paperwork problems. But now every week they find out something new. The class above her is very upset about a new course on evaluating risks in hospitals that Tech overlooked in the past and has added to their workloads. Because they have lost so many faculty Tech isn’t giving her support. She calls me almost every day to report that it is all teaching with power points from 9 – 4. They call it death by power point. The Faculty doesn’t know students’ names and they work outside jobs. Tech has to fly in faculty from other places to help teach courses and they never learn names and aren’t easy to contact with questions. They told my sister they have cadaver labs but they closed those down.

Then there are super high rent costs because of the West Texas oil boom. She said it is almost like New York City and the apartments are run down and they spray for insects every week. She wants me to go to another school and to help her transfer. When they move to Lubbock they expect huge Faculty turnover.

Of course they aren't going to be put on probation, fire people and move the school to Lubbock in installments just because of consistent paperwork errors. I have a sister going there and she said they even are losing clinical rotation positions. She said people have already left the first year class. They don't even have a building for them in Lubbock so they will be orphans going from one building to another. Maybe if they told everyone why they were really on probation .... The cadaver labs were in Lubbock but they stopped using them because of the DANGEROUS TRAFFIC driving from Midland to Lubbock, or so they say.

I have to admit that "consistent paperwork errors" is a creative excuse!!!

Man. For as competitive their program is, it sure is a shame that there are so many issues. If I was a student in that program after I had worked my tail off so hard to get it, I'd definitely feel shortchanged. With that said, it makes so much more sense to have the program in LBK. If you've ever been to the TTUHSC in Lubbock and the school of medicine, then you'd know that there definitely would be a place for the students to go...not to mention the entire TTU campus (which is vast) is also probably available for didactic purposes. It definitely isn't the ideal school to apply to currently, and I totally sympathize with those such as your cousin, but I feel much more comfortable applying to the school if the program is being closely monitored in the same building and city and not some awful location (Midland) with awful weather and housing. At any rate, we'll see what the news is on Wednesday.

I'm from Midland. The talk about the school moving to Lubbock has been around for at least a year. If they didn't tell the students, bad on them. But the local politicos will fight a complete move no matter what Tech says on Wednesday or beyond. What I was told when I called was the Probabtion was because faculty didn't read student evaluations which tells you what they think of their students and what they think of themselves. But the lady said it was the fault of faculty who have left or were fired. We'll see what all of this does to their already low national ranking. Growing up in Midland I expected to go to Tech for years, but I probably won't even apply now. I go to Midland Community College for classes and talk to some of the PA students there and they are unhappy and now don't even talk to each other. If they can't even keep their rural slots, something is really wrong. Maybe because now Texas has so many other schools. I don't even think we can rely on what Tech says this Wednesday because of the politics and Tech has been double-dealing. Midland is really upset becauase they paid 1/2 the cost of the Tech PA building in Midland.

What a huge let-down. I just feel awful for those students who had to undergo portions of their training with professors who were either arrogant or just careless. The best professors I've had were the ones who read each and every one of the student evaluations, and would even make concessions to re-structure their course in order to better teach the material. Then there's the huge loss of money for the students who have already left the program have to worry about.

I guess this just goes to show that a competitive program doesn't necessarily guarantee great faculty. Lesson learned.

Even the current students are being ripped off because over the next two years employees will be bailing out left and right. Married couples with two jobs aren't going to want to relocate at just the right time for Tech's mov e. But good to learn all of this now for students who would have to move here and pay these rents for a program going down the drain. But everyone should have applied to more than one school. Take whatever Tech says this week with a grain of sand.

“We didn’t have very good representation to our advisory board on the program and that is one of the things that we were most smitten about because we didn’t know. The thing is, if you don’t know about the problems you can’t solve them,” said Donnelly.

I hope they tell us what the problems are!

Texas Tech Explores Options For PA Program 7/10/13

Lauren Lanmon

llanmon@cbs7.com

July 10, 2013

Midland - The Midland College PA program could soon be a thing of the past. Sources tell CBS 7 that the board of regents has already notified faculty that their jobs would be in Lubbock. CBS 7 reached out to multiple leaders and received nothing but surprise and confusion. CBS 7 finally received confirmation when Texas Tech officials gave us a statement that they were looking at a change to the program.

“It just kind of came out of the blue, they made the decision and boom, that was it,” said Midland County Commissioner Robert Donnelly.

“Midland College has heard those rumors too but only rumors and haven’t heard anything official from Texas Tech,” said Midland College Public Information Officer Rebecca Bell.

Others have also been caught off guard; we reached out to Texas Techs Board of Regents member Mickey Long who says he hasn’t been involved in any type of conversation that has to do with moving the PA Program. However advisory board members here in Odessa say that’s not the case.

“I think it has already been approved by the Board of Regents at this point because they already redirected the teachers and I think they will absorb the students there,” said Donnelly.

There are already 60 students committed to the program at Midland College, by moving the program it could really impact the regions hospitals.

“We depend a lot on the PA’s in the area because our physician recruitment is low, and that’s a problem that is going to continue to happen because it’s hard to get doctors to come to West Texas,” said Donnelly.

Both Bell and Donnelly say some of the reasons that could cause this move would be the problems with temporary housing, but more than that Donnelly says there was a lack of communication between the two areas.

“We didn’t have very good representation to our advisory board on the program and that is one of the things that we were most smitten about because we didn’t know. The thing is, if you don’t know about the problems you can’t solve them,” said Donnelly.

In the statement released to CBS 7, Texas Tech did say that they are planning to hold a press conference next Wednesday, July 17 to talk about this very issue.

That's the problems at Tech. They don't tell applicants they are Probatated and that they are moving maybe until the students are locked-in. Is any other Program moving to a different city maybe? If you had a sister who cries every time she calls you would understand.

I was thinking about West Virginia until I read the blogs and thank you thank you thank you for those.

I won't address everything since the official TTUHSC press release hasn't come out yet but...

My sister goes to Tech and is trying to transfer out. When the Tech PA program was put on probation the faculty told her class that it was only paperwork problems. But now every week they find out something new.

It was an issue documenting the implementation of certain things to the ARC-PA. Let's not misunderstand what probation is as it's not a rare thing for programs to end up on it. In fact, it often results in improvement of the program by making positive changes and addressing issues that may have been overlooked for some time. It was not curriculum or faculty related.

The class above her is very upset about a new course on evaluating risks in hospitals that Tech overlooked in the past and has added to their workloads.

Nobody is very upset.

Because they have lost so many faculty Tech isn’t giving her support.

One retired, one moved out of the city to develop a cancer research program, and the previous program director was replaced. These are normal parts of professional environments. The sky isn't exactly falling.

She calls me almost every day to report that it is all teaching with power points from 9 – 4. They call it death by power point.

This is pretty much every program and higher education in general.

The Faculty doesn’t know students’ names and they work outside jobs.

It's silly to think every faculty member will know all 180ish students(three classes) and especially those that have been in the program for a little over a month now. That's why every student has an adviser. And PA faculty everywhere work clinically a couple days per week.

Tech has to fly in faculty from other places to help teach courses and they never learn names and aren’t easy to contact with questions.

Every PA program does this. They are called adjunct faculty.

They told my sister they have cadaver labs but they closed those down.

Your "sister" is not missing anything. It was a logistical hassle and wasn't full dissection. Unfortunately being located in Midland makes that difficult.

Then there are super high rent costs because of the West Texas oil boom. She said it is almost like New York City and the apartments are run down and they spray for insects every week.

This is the only legitimate concern. Housing costs are insane.

It is pretty clear that some people don't understand the PA school environment so I hope this helps. Tell your sister to buck up and focus on school and she'll be fine.

That's the problems at Tech. They don't tell applicants they are Probatated and that they are moving maybe until the students are locked-in. Is any other Program moving to a different city maybe? If you had a sister who cries every time she calls you would understand.

I was thinking about West Virginia until I read the blogs and thank you thank you thank you for those.

I don't think you quite understand the logistics of the program. It is a satellite by itself on the campus of another school in a city two hours away from the main school. It's not like they are thinking "wellpz...let's just pack up and pick somewhere new." If it were to move, it would be to the main TTUHSC campus. And it's not as if they are going to have current students just pick up and move. Try to think this stuff through before being a drama queen and spamming several threads with this doomsday preaching.

wutthechris,

I take it you're a current student in the program. I'm actually a little excited about the move because it makes more sense. I understand if you are a student, you cannot divulge to many issues... but does everyone around you seem to have a good feeling about the whole process? If I were a student (and didn't have a family in Midland), I know that I probably would be excited about the change.

Thanks!

1.I attend this program and every teacher knows my name..It sometimes takes more than 2 months to accomplish this.

2. Besides the "death by power point", we have multiple labs, to name a few- IV lab, sutures, joint injections, orthopedic and cardiovascular. I really enjoy all the hands on work our program incorporates.

3. Yes agreed, housing is very expensive. Probably a major reason a move to Lubbock would be more accommodating.

4. Adjuct professors are necessary. For example, they "fly" in a general surgeon to teach surgery. We do not have a surgeon on staff as faculty...Not seeing this as a negative.

5. Yes, our instructors are employed and active in the clinical field, as are most instructors in respected P.A. programs. They share clinical experiences with us that relates to lesson material.

Again, negatives? Anyone??

I have to agree with everything Chris says here. Everything he said here is how I know it as well. I would think about what you said before you run around saying the sky is falling. Good luck to your "sister" in looking for a school to transfer out to. Death by power point in the first semester is a given in every grad school. Chris I think we have two trolls that are looking for a feeding. Notice both just joined and almost all of there posts are about Texas Tech, and they both have the same bad info. What are the odds that two people would join the forum at the exact same time and both would have sisters in the program at Texas Tech.....

Texas Politics.

[h=1]Updated: Craddick confirms Tech PA program to stay in Midland[/h] By Meredith Moriak | mmoriak@mrt.com | Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 6:02 pm

The physician assistant training program run by the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center will remain at Midland College.

“They’re going to announce (today) it’s staying in Midland and they’re going to move an assistant dean or dean down to the program in Midland,” Rep. Tom Craddick told the Reporter-Telegram on Tuesday.

Craddick worked to secure state funds for the establishment of the PA program at Midland College in 1997 and said he’s spent a lot of time in the past 10 days talking with Tech officials to ensure the program remains in Midland.

TTUHSC officials said last week they were researching all options for the long-term viability of the PA program.

“It was very concerning to me since I created the program and helped secure funding. It’s done so well and has been an asset to the community, I didn’t want to see it move,” Craddick said.

Craddick said many Midlanders, including TTU Board of Regents Chairman Mickey Long, also worked hard to ensure the program would remain in Midland.

“Our administration has been working very close with stakeholders and elected officials in Midland, just trying to come up with the best option for the students and the longterm viability of the program,” said Mary Croyle, TTUHSC executive director of communications and marketing Monday evening.

The program has far exceeded expectations Craddick set for it in 1997 when it was established as a joint venture between Midland College and TTUHSC.

“They’ve had tremendous response to the program, with multiple applications each year and one of the highest scores of any PA program in the country. ... They doubled the enrollment and doubled it again,” Craddick said.

Craddick acknowledged Midland’s housing marketing has created growing pains for PA students seeking affordable housing options, but that is not a reason to relocate the program.

“Issues with where students are living can be solved,” Craddick said.

TTUHSC President Tedd Mitchell will meet with local media today to discuss the PA program’s future, Croyle said.

Thatn ewspaper is not official. Texas politics can wind like a snake. I still would like to know about the probation. Why are they omn probation? The plan to move the program seems like there are lots of hidden problems. Midland politics saved it this time.But like PAIntraining 44 wrote what all are they hiding? We pay taxes and have a right to know.

I don't know who is most right about what is going on behind those walls but Probation and then right after Tech threatening to move makes it all sound abnormal to me.

Archived