• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First year PA student here. So been here three months. Good and less good. Don’t know about other schools to compare. Much of this just came up this year. Midland isn’t Dallas. Rent is high and going up. A new faculty left a few weeks ago when the move to Lubbock came up. Staffing is low right now. Yes, probation, but can’t say if it matters. Faculty not talking to us about move. Current staff has many years of experience. Seem to have a routine down. Easy to get around Midland and park. Good West Texas connections. Still expecting to get a job. Where can it be perfect? You have to compare for yourself. Everyone looks at schools differently.

[h=1]What's wrong with Midland tx water?[/h] Not sure if this is the right category..

I've lived here since October, I was staying in a motel at the time and went to take a pill and spit it back out due to the taste of the water. I've been told "its in peoples heads because it looks weird" but it LOOKS fine, it tastes like hell in a glass. I moved into a house on the other side of Midland and decided it wasn't the motel, it really is horrible, though it wasn't AS bad as at the motel. I'm sick of buying a gallon of water every other day when water should be free. I've been googling and saw horror stories about the water here, back in 2006 people were getting very sick from here. I'm assuming that problem has been fixed. Is it really due to high amounts of calcium? Judging my the build up on faucets I would believe so.

On that note, would buying a water filter help?

[h=2]Best Answer[/h]

"...when water should be free..." Unless you have a well, water is NOT Free.

The problem is the drought that TX has gone thru, crap in the ground is leaching into the water table, thus making it taste like crap.

NewsWest 9 Special Report: Water Taste Test

by Diane Tuazon

NewsWest 9

WEST TEXAS - Lets face it, West Texas isn't known for having good tasting tap water, and many residents would agree.

"I don't like the taste, I just drink bottled water and RO system. I've been doing it for years, I just don't trust the water," Lt. Brian Bogart, with the Midland Police Department, said.

So we decided to take matters into own hands, and put together a taste test to see which county has better tasting water. NewsWest 9 took samples from Big Spring, Midland, Odessa, Fort Stockton and Stanton.

It was a bit challenging to find people to agree on becoming part of the 'tasting panel.'

The panel consisted of three well known officials, Martin County Sheriff John Woodard, followed by Midland Police Department's Lt. Brian Bogart and finally, Permian High's assistant Principal Buddy Hale.

We lined up each cup with different county water and let their taste buds do the rest. Now keep in mind they had no idea which county's water was in each cup; first of was Odessa.

Woodward said: "clear spring water, taste like straight from the lake."

Hale said: "This ones clear not bad."

Bogart said: "This one is pretty good pretty clear didn't give me any bad feelings."

Moving on to Stanton's water.

Woodward said: "Definitely is has a bite to it, it's got a dirt taste to it, still good for human consumption."

Hale said: "This ones murky looks like horse water, and it's kind of got a bite to it."

Bogart said: "This has a bit of a mineral after taste and a bit musty."

Fort Stockton was up next.

Woodward said: "Didn't have too much of a taste, pretty good pretty clear."

Hale said: "This one is good and clear, a bit of an after taste but good."

Bogart said: "Very good goes straight to every vessel in your body."

Then it was time to test Big Spring's water.

Woodward: "This one is murky looks like mosquitoes in the water, and it tastes pretty rough kind of like the ocean water."

Bogart said: "This one has a tinge to it, are you sure you didn't get it from mud water? It tastes like it has mineral; it has strong after taste."

Hale: "Wow! Not good! Human consumption, livestock only! I'd hate to make municipal people mad but it needs some help. It needs some chemicals in it like chlorine. I'm not going to sample that again. I need to wait after that one, you got a candy bar or something?"

After a moment of recovering, it was time to move on to the last test; Midland's water.

Woodward said: "It's not bad, it has a hint of mineral, but overall not bad."

Bogart said: "A little bit of a mineral after taste, but not bad."

Hale said: "Good for gargling, better that the last one, I wouldn't give the last one to my grandchildren my worst enemy, but this ones good a bit of a mineral taste but good."

After tasting all five county waters, it was shocking for some to learn Odessa had the best tasting tap.

"Odessa? Really? that's a pleasant surprise. We're the last one on the list to get water so you'd think we'd have the worst, but that's good to know we have good quality water," Bogart said.

When it came to revealing the worst tasting water, they were almost speechless.

"Bless their hearts, just put coffee or tea in it. No, but really they shouldn't feel bad, my town wasn't that far behind," Woodward said.

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate?a=MSAAvgRentalPrice&msa=5800

[TABLE]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD=align: center]Odessa-Midland TX MSA[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]avgPrice.png[/TD]

[TD=align: center]img?xSize=400&ySize=215&data1=2013,890%7C2012,781%7C2009,632%7C2011,683%7C2008,599%7C2010,648%7C2007,495%7C2006,419%7C2005,336%7C2004,366%7C2003,343%7C2002,329%7C2001,323%7C&data2=2013,1260%7C2012,1052%7C2009,832%7C2011,890%7C2008,726%7C2010,804%7C2007,633%7C2006,496%7C2005,562%7C2004,448%7C2003,481%7C2002,471%7C2001,498%7C2000,435%7C&yMax=1400&yMin=200&xMax=2013&xMin=2008[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Odessa-Midland TX Apartment Rental Rates

Average rental prices for one and two bedroom apartments within the Odessa-Midland TX MSA area as reported by renters on ApartmentRatings.com.

Odessa-Midland TX MSA

Year

1 Bedroom 2 Bedrooms

1 bedroom

2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013

Price: $336 $419 $495 $599 $632 $648 $683 $781 $890

Responses: 24 27 22 35 44 50 36 25 15

% change: -8.2% 24.7% 18.14% 21.01% 5.51% 2.53% 5.4% 14.35% 13.96%

2 bedroom

2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013

Price: $562 $496 $633 $726 $832 $804 $890 $1,052 $1,260

Responses: 18 39 42 35 40 72 46 32 24

% change: 25.45% -11.74% 27.62% 14.69% 14.6% -3.37% 10.7% 18.2% 19.77%

More Pricing Reports

Midland, TX rental pricing report | apartment listings

Odessa, TX rental pricing report | apartment listings

Cities nearby

Gardendale, TX apartment listings

Methodology

Data used to calculate average prices by floorplan are gathered from renters' disclosure of monthly rental rates on ApartmentRatings.com, the Internet's most popular website for renters to share ratings and reviews of apartments.

Read more: http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate?a=MSAAvgRentalPrice&msa=5800#ixzz2ay37XG00

Our Mission: To promote and assure the health and well being of citizens of the City of Midland.

MIDLAND HEALTH & SENIOR SERVICES

3303 W. ILLINOIS

MIDLAND TEXAS, 7970

Our Mission: To promote and assure the health and well being of citizens of the City of Midland.

PAGE 4

MIDLAND HEALTH & SENIOR SERVICES

3303 W. ILLINOIS

MIDLAND TEXAS, 79703

432-681-7613

Bed Bugs

What are bed bugs?

Bed bugs are small insects that feed on the blood of

mammals and birds. Adult bed bugs are oval, wingless and

rusty red colored, and have flat bodies, antennae and small eyes

. They are visible to the naked eye, but often hide in

cracks and crevices. When bed bugs feed, their bodies swell and become a brighter red. In homes, bed bugs feed

primarily on the blood of humans, usually at night when people are sleeping.

What does a bed bug bite feel and look like?

Typically, the bite is painless and rarely awakens a sleepi

ng person. However, it can produce large, itchy welts on

the skin. Welts from bed bug bites do not have a red spot in

the center – those welts are more characteristic of flea

bites.

How does a home become infested with bed bugs?

In most cases, bed bugs are transported from infested

areas to non-infested areas when they cling onto someone’s

clothing, or crawl into luggage, furniture

or bedding that is then brought into homes.

How do I know if my home is infested with bed bugs?

If you have bed bugs, you may also notice itchy welts on you

or your family member’s skin. You may also see the

bed bugs themselves, small bloodstains from crushed bed bugs, or dark spots from bed bug droppings in your

home. Bed bugs often hide in or near beds and bedroom furniture, and in the tufts, seams, and folds of mattresses

and daybed covers. In more severe in

festations, bed bugs may sp

read to cracks and crevices in bed frames and box

springs; behind headboards; inside nightstands; behind base

boards, window and door casings, pictures, and mold-

ings; and in nearby furniture, loosened wallpaper, and cracks

in plaster and flooring. Bed bugs may also hide in piles

of books, papers, boxes, and other clutter near sleeping areas.

How can I get rid of bed bugs?



Hire a licensed pest control professional to evaluate

what type of pest is presen

t, and to exterminate them

if required.



Use insecticides to get rid of bed bugs that ar

e hiding in walls and other large objects.



Non-chemical approaches to control involve the use

of hot air and/or wrapping up infested materials in

black plastic and placing the articles in the sun,

thereby killing the bed bugs with the heat generated.

However this should only be used for small items, if at all.



Clothes can be washed in hot water and dried on the hot

cycle of the clothes drye

r. Delicate materials can

be placed into the freezer. Generally, pesticides will need to be applied in conjunction with any

nonchemical means of control.



Practice good housekeeping practices and reduce possi

ble harbourages to discourage repeat infestations.



When it is colder than 25 degrees F, place mattresses and furniture outside for several hours to kill bed

bugs. Temperatures below 25 degrees F will freeze and kill bed bugs.



Wash all bedding, draperies and clothing in hot water on a regular basis.



Vacuum and steam-clean carpets.

Bed bugs can be difficult to get rid of

because they hide so well. If two weeks

have passed since you first tried to rid

your home of bed bugs and you still notice signs of bed bug

s, repeat the above steps. For heavy infestations contact

a pest control service.

Now everyone can see that the Faculty can't manage the school. Disagree with with them or mention problems and you get personal attacks from them, not improvements. They'll tell you probation s a good thing! Maybe this explains why they are on probation? Anyone else seeing the pattern?

They NEVER told the students why they are on probation. They sent them a letter almost just before classes started and said that everything is ok and to ignore the probation. They make the three stooges look like good management. Remember students were told not to talk? Maybe that's why only a few still students are posting?

And, Mr. T, I'm a cupie not a troll.

You're drinking too much of that salt water. Big Rip-off.

I'm still considering this school. The staff a few years back (Deemer era) were great, area is full of good people, it isn't a huge city but has everything you need. I am anxious to hear how this ends up.

I spent a lot of time there when my Wife attended the program. Neither of us would mind going back for a few years if I wind up applying and getting accepted.

Do plan on using a lot of bottled water as the tap water definitely isn't great...but its even worse in S.E. Texas.

Good school. Good people. Good program. Shame to see the struggle they're having. Hopefully its temporary. With the oil boom in that region, it further solidifies the need for a strong PA presence in rural West Texas.

Finally someone who talks and doesn't just mke personal attacks. SemperPAratus, Tech might have been good years ago, and it can be said. But Tech DOESN'T want news out about the problems it is having this year and it created. This forum is here to inform people about the good ... AND THE BAD.

How would a student like to show up at Tech and find out they are on probation, might relocate, have just half the staff, the cost of rent and all of the other stuff. Tech won't tell anyone about this at interviews and elsewhere.

If you go to Tech honest best wishes.

Finally someone who talks and doesn't just mke personal attacks. SemperPAratus, Tech might have been good years ago, and it can be said. But Tech DOESN'T want news out about the problems it is having this year and it created. This forum is here to inform people about the good ... AND THE BAD.

How would a student like to show up at Tech and find out they are on probation, might relocate, have just half the staff, the cost of rent and all of the other stuff. Tech won't tell anyone about this at interviews and elsewhere.

If you go to Tech honest best wishes.

I mean no disrespect, but anyone who vaguely knows the TX economy will know that West TX is booming. I would be certain to investigate ANY school's housing market prior to interviewing and accepting a seat. Common sense. Trends are clearly visible in the information you provided. More demand without an increase in supply tends to yield higher rent.

I agree that Tech should've disclosed the probation info. However, those conducting interviews may not have known at the time of the interviews. Those are probably the same people who jumped ship when it all went downhill.

If I attend, it will be a few years off. I'm still (proudly) serving my commitment to the military. It should all be sorted out by the time I decide whether or not to apply there. With that said, what I've seen thus far wouldn't stop me from applying.

Those who have lived in the area know about the housing crisis. You basically have two big owners building apartment hence the GOUGING. Of course the OA and MRT wont let the public know that since they pay them advertising money. Back to the topic on hand. My military brother interviewed back afew months ago, and was INFORMED of the housing crisis. In addition he was extremely impressed with the faculty and students, but ultimately ended up at DUKE. He interviewed at several schools in texas. Tech isn't the only school on PROBATION.(http://www.arc-pa.org) If you go to the SCHOOL webpage they even tell YOU they are on PROBATION!(http://www.ttuhsc.edu/sah/mpa/) They aren't the first nor last school on probation. What pissed the OA and MRT off is they couldn't get a soul to comment, and now they have to go hunting online for comments.....No I don't WORK or HAVE ATTENDED a Texas Tech School.

Not trying to start a fire or anything, but if you are convinced of all the bad things you read and post, then why not just move on? This school certainly doesn't appear to be if your liking. Someone said it earlier: many programs get put on probation status. It happens to lots of other healthcare programs, even medical schools. Not trying to defend the program or anything, but it just doesn't make sense for someone to spend so much time and energy to try and expose something that hasn't already been stated... unless you're getting paid for it. As far as I'm concerned, the facts have been stated. This is either your school of choice or it isn't, and it clearly isn't.

In my opinion if someone posts information about schools, that only helps other students. Opinions are only opinions either good or bad. Just opinions. Maybe now applicants from out of West Texas or Texas will know with things that have cropped up at Tech. I haven’t heard that the school might close, only that it might move, so there will be interviews and more opinions might be put up in this forum. Hard to see any big deals here? People can write good or bad things about Tech.

The PA building is on campus at Midland College. During summer I sometimes had lunch with students from the PA school. Almost all of the time they talked about tests and grades and nothing else, but sometimes Probation would come up and nobody knew why the school was put on probation. Really, they talked about it more when the Big move was announced because it made the probation sound like it must have been a really a bad thing if they had to move the school to fix the problems. The PAs were also unhappy about the temp teachers brought in I think from Lubbock. But unless the Pas were bsing me, they didn’t know what was going on.

Everybody in wt knows about the rent problems or the cost to buy a house right now. Everybody here drinks out of bottles and not from the tap. Drinks water, I mean. Costs money, but Midland won’t raise taxes to pay for better water if that is even possible. Heck, in Midland they keep Playboy magazine behind the counter and it might be the only town in the country like that just so you know what to expect in this family community.

The September decision is what I’ll be listening for, and then after September what the real decision will be when Tech isn’t caught with its pants down by a leak to the Big Politicians. In the meantime the school will go on . There have been big changes these past few months and maybe there will or won’t be more. Might as well sit back and wait. Maybe later they’ll tell us why they are on probation?

Even money says there will be another leak and not of Midland water. Welcome to Texas.

I say leave the lady be. She was savvy enough to point out so many things that she deserves a pat on the back. After watching Texas politics, my bet now is we are all in for a big shock. Thanks Miss, and plenty of people will be thanking you also because they should know about the changes. Yiou go right on an express your opinions as long as you want, and give us info when you can. The more I read people thinking things are settled, the more convinced I am we are in for one.

When I first started looking at schools many years ago I was surprised Midland had a PA program. The Medical School satellite program is in ODESSA, and other allied health programs. The MAIN campus is in LUBBOCK. I found the location to be strange considering all the location of the other allied health programs. What initially attracted me to the program you only needed 66 hours to apply and you would come out with a MASTERS. In addition the several of the faculty were prior military. I also did a tour of the facility, and was very impressed. I looked at the PANCE rate at the time, and it was ABOVE AVERAGE. I looked today and its 96% 1st time PASS RATE. That's pretty good when you compare it to others. Another reason I liked the program were you didn't have to compete so much with residents or medical students. This is what I was told at the time by a local attending. The only reason I didn't end up declining an interview was I was accepted to my dream school.... One thing to consider if you move out to the area is everyone knows everyone business thanks to the OA and MRT. I mean if you fart or get divorced it gets put in the newspaper.

Neo it is because my sister withdrew.

So now that we know who you and your sister are, it's hard to take you seriously. From what the c/o 2015 has told me, your sister was pretty weird with how she kept bugging everyone for reviews, kept asking for people to teach her everything to the tiniest detail, and couldn't handle PA school. It sounds like you're defensive because your sister just couldn't handle it and wants to blame everyone/thing but herself. No need to keep trolling-yall can just move on with your lives.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived