Expired pre-reqs, options?

Hi everyone.

I would love to hear you opinion on my situation. I am currently an assistant professor teaching mostly A&P to nursing and pre-med students. I have taken all of the standard pre-requisite classes for PA, but in undergrad before getting my doctorate and teaching, so more than 10 years ago. I can swing taking some classes again but don't have the time or cash to do a full post-bac program. I was told by Suny Upstate, the closest PA program to me, that teaching the course doesn't count and I would have to actually take the course from someone else to fulfill the prereq requirement. I'm sure I could easily pass after teaching the subject for years but it just seems silly. Do you know of any schools that make exceptions to the prereq requirement in the case of either teaching the course or advanced training in graduate school? Also, what do you think would be the most important 1-3 prereqs to retake?

Thanks so much, for your answers and welcoming me into your online community.

Spend some time researching and speaking with schools you'd be interested in. I looked up a few other schools in NY to give you a better answer but most schools are varied. Touro's website says they need to all be within 10 years unless exempt by the program. So my guess is there you may have A&P exempt but then you'd be stuck with 6 other courses. Some schools (like Yale) have no exp date for pre reqs.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar problem I was a teacher for 6 years. Touro was good about it. They said that just A and P I and II , Micro and that might be it has to be taken in the last 5 years (I may not be exact, but they were good at it) Some other schools said I have to retake my Stats and Pre Calc, so I put it in the CASPA that I will take it in the spring. If I get in to those schools (although they aren't my top schools) I will take them in the spring. I am applying to 12 schools (I know lol) and I didn't have too much of a problem with the expiration's. You have to do a lot of emailing the schools. I will telling you where I am applying if there is a school that you personally want to know about PM me. Touro (all campuses), Mercy, Sophie Davis, Downstate, Pace, York College, Hofstra, NYIT, UMDNJ-Rutgers, that might be it or I can't remember the last :-)

Archived