Yes ANOTHER one of these threads

So I will be shadowing an Orthopedic Surgeon next week on a surgery day. I have never shadowed a physician before. What do I wear for this? Show up in slacks, dress shirt, tie and bring a duffle bag with scrubs? Are dockers and a polo okay? The fact I will be spending my time in the OR is what is throwing me off. Any advice, tips or suggestions are appreciated. BTW I have never met the surgeon before either.

Many hospitals have scrub rental machines in the OR area. When I shadowed a surgical PA, she paid for the scrubs I wore, because if you return them, your hospital card gets credited back. But, yes, you will likely need scrubs of some sort just to get into the general area where the ORs are located. I would call the surgeon's office and talk to a nurse or someone at the front desk to find out what the scrub situation is. If all else fails, you'll likely need scrubs someday anyway, so I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to have a pair or two of your own. Otherwise, yes, dress up! Think about what you see the doctors wear under the white coat when you see them in the office and wear something similar.

Most facilities will want you to wear their scrubs (and theirs only). They don't know where yours have been or your laundry habits. In rare instances some places will have you wear a disposable jumpsuit over your street clothes.

Err on the side of being overdressed...

Archived