Vacation time during application cycle

I feel somewhat embarrassed to ask this. My story is that I am looking to book a month trip to my home country to see my grandparents early next year. I haven't been back home for over a decade and this is about the most preferable time to do it for personal reasons. There are a lot going on. I was thinking of going around Christmas time, just beginning of Dec to early Jan, but there're conflicts at work with not being able to get off that month.

I am concerned that while out of the country, I would receive an interview invitation.

I know different programs have various times where they hold interviews. This is my first time applying and I am still waiting on a few things before I can submit the application. Though, looking at the schools I'll be applying at, some students get notified for interviews as early as September. It can go on towards the end of the year to early next year.

Generally, do more interviews happen before the end of the year...for most of the seats? Would January be a bad month to be away? Or should I try to push it to February/late February? This trip is very important to my family and I, as well as getting into a PA school for me... If I get an interview during my time off I probably will have to book a one-way trip home anyway.

I don't know when every school has their interviews; you could contact the schools you will be applying to and find out. When I applied, there were November and February interviews and nothing during the holiday season.

If it were me, I'd go home and make sure that I included a phone number in your applications that would be answered by someone during the period you are out of the country.

Go home and enjoy.

Majority of the interviews do happen between September and February. If I were you, I would plan my trip in spring, as there is a very good chance that you will get invited while you are out of the country. While some programs conduct multiple interviews in one month, many do one interview a month. You miss one, and you might loose your chance for the next one since you are gone... A month away is a long time...

Try to find a good compromise to do both!

Thank you guys for your inputs. We originally wanted to go during the Holidays but that is not possible and maybe that is a good thing. Although, it seems like we can't postpone this too long either. I'm thinking February 20 - March 20, not early in Feb. A lot of the programs will probably be mostly full by then. Won't be able to plan for the summer either in case I do get in one of the programs that starts in the summer.

Places do reschedule interviews and when they invite you for interviews they give you dates to choose from. The vast majority of my interviews were from September to December. Then nothing for a while and had a couple invites in late Feb/March (2 and both were West Coast schools). I'd say you are relatively safe for Feb 20 to March 20 and if you do get invites just try your best to get them to work with you.

Archived