As of right now i have a 2.98 gpa. right on the cusp of having a minimum 3.0 to apply to certain schools. I graduated from undergrad with a 2.88 and have taken 28 credits with a 3.6 post bacc GPA. im currently finishing up a class that if i get an A (and im sure i will) i will have that 3.0. Because i have taken over 150 credits in my life the raise in gpa is slow, steady, and frustrating. My question is should i wait until the end of July/early august to apply to have that 3.0 on my application or should I apply now and update the schools once i have my official grade. While talking with schools about my application cycle last year i was often told I "am doing everything right" the only thing holding me back was some difficulty in the beginning of college. I don't want to be dismissed by .02 when there is so much more to my application.

@thormor:

It sounds like you have persisted against some obstacles and worked diligently to improve your academic standing. For many programs, including ours at Indiana University, applicants who do not meet the CASPA-calculated undergraduate GPA minimum of 3.0 are not considered. That is, they are automatically excluded from consideration upon CASPA verification of this GPA.

The thing to do is to improve all other aspects of your application, including GRE or MCAT scores, prerequisite GPA, personal statement, etc., in the hopes of obtaining and interview.

Unfortunately we cannot consider applicants that do not meet our minimum standards. If you are interested in programs that have this firm requirement, I suggest waiting until you can confirm at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA.

Best wishes,

Josh Morrison

Director, Student Enrollment Services

IU Physician Assistant Program

Apply to schools that don't have a minimum GPA of 3.0. Even top ranking schools such as Duke and Emory consider applicants with less than stellar GPAs. A positive, upward trend in grades shows that you have matured and can handle the work load. It's about the applicant as a whole and not just the numbers. Don't wait. Just be conscious of the program's GPA requirements. Good luck!

Archived