Anyone else interested in Elon's new program?

I am just wondering if any of you are planning to apply to Elon's program that is set to begin in January 2013...I have just decided to take the risk of being part of an inaugural class and apply there. It is such a great campus, I love the area, and they have some great scholarship opportunities. I am a bit fascinated with the idea of being in an inaugural class- though it makes me nervous too.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Hi Tmroper! I submitted as soon as their online application was up and running (end of October I think) and received an interview invitation last week. So I will tour the building at my interview in January. Do you live in NC? What makes it your first choice if you don't mind me asking? I am pretty sure it is my first choice at this point as well. Is there something holding you up from submitting before January?

Elon has a PA program? hmm... have they had an open house - or have you attended? Wonder if it was better than the one we were at together?

I will definetly look into Elon. Inaugural class does sound interesting...but I'd be worried it might be the 1.0 version (lots of bugs to work out of the system).

kerryc- LOL- it would not be too difficult to beat that open house. No- Elon has not had an open house. The facility is supposed to be complete in January and they are encouraging people to make an appointment to meet faculty and tour the facility then. So, far they have been really on top of things- they even answer their phones and return phone calls/e-mails quickly. I had someone from this board contact me to tell me all about their director and how great he was when he worked at Wake Forest. I also have a PA friend who did some guest lecturing at Campbell and she said the people she talked to over there about Elon expect it to be a great program based on their knowledge of the people involved. Their HCE requirements are low, so you might not find it a good fit- I don't know. The idea of helping shape a program really appeals to me. Also, they have 3 elective clinical rotations, which I really like. Let me know what you think once you check it out.

Elon really has been awesome with keeping everyone informed of what is going on with their applications and information. I have an interview in January and am really looking forward to it. Elon's my first choice mainly because of its great academic record. With them starting a law school and DPT school within the past few years and it really taking off, I'm not worried about being part of the inagural class. They are going to do things right the first time, no worries at all.

Hello wca,

I wrote earlier under the username tmroper. Elon is my first choice for a few reasons. I like the idea of helping to shape the new program and I am attracted to Elon's great reputation. I also like that the program starts in January. It seems like they have recruited some great faculty to lead the first class. I currently live in WNC. I will most likely be applying to others like Wingate, Campbell, and ECU. I haven't submitted yet because I am taking the new GRE the first week of Jan. I hope I wont be too late in the game!

tmr4869- OK. I am assuming you decided to go with a more anonymous name? I wish this forum would let you change your screen name at least once for that reason. Anyway, yes- I really like Elon's reputation. I actually almost went there for undergrad (a LOOOOOONG time ago ;-)), but ended up at state-supported schools. Best wishes to you on the GRE- I was able to take the old version thank goodness!

I agree, it is too bad that you cannot change the screen name at least once. I suppose all is well. Nothing to hide here! :) I also opted for a state supported institution for undergrad. I had heard of Elon as a high school student, but really I was hardly familiar with the school. As far as masters programs go, it seems that Elon's tuition rates are not that far off from many others in the state (other than ECU of course!). Thanks so much for the warm wishes on the GRE. I can't wait to put that one behind me! Please keep us posted on your interview with Elon. Best of luck!!!!

Yes- their tuition seems about right with the others around here. I also checked their web page today and they have finally posted the curriculum plan. They are using a systems-based curriculum, which is very exciting to me. I think Wake Forest is the only other program in this area that uses that approach and they are too far for me (and I don't have enough patient contact). I was hoping that Elon would do this, so I have been checking their website regularly. That discovery today has put Elon as my definite top choice. The only concern I have is the money, but I am hoping to receive some of the scholarship or fellowship money. The interview isn't until the end of January, but I will try to give an update.

dajacobs- is your interview for Jan 23? Maybe we will meet each other! I totally agree- Elon seems to get things right the first time around.

• 3 weeks later...

dajacobs- haha I am getting a bit impatient too- I'm pretty excited to check out the remodeled facility. I will send you a pm with my name, so if there is time, we can introduce ourselves that day. Have you received an e-mail about the interview time yet? I looked on the website today and saw that they have posted the interview format. It said there will be three separate interviews, a writing assignment, and then a tour and info session. It sounds like a full day!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey wca- the gre went great, thanks for askin! Far better than I expected. I just submitted my application this evening, so I thought I would check the forum and see how everyone else is doing. How did your interview go? Im nervous about the writing portion (probably pre-mature since I havent been invited for an interview!! haha). I have heard of other programs doing this and asking basic anatomy questions, so I guess I will have to dig out my old A and P book to study up!

Hey wca- the gre went great, thanks for askin! Far better than I expected. I just submitted my application this evening, so I thought I would check the forum and see how everyone else is doing. How did your interview go? Im nervous about the writing portion (probably pre-mature since I havent been invited for an interview!! haha). I have heard of other programs doing this and asking basic anatomy questions, so I guess I will have to dig out my old A and P book to study up!

Guest askyoulc

I'm headed there for an interview this afternoon. I'm really excited to see the facility, their curriculum approach and their general plans for the program.

Guest askyoulc

I'm headed there for an interview this afternoon. I'm really excited to see the facility, their curriculum approach and their general plans for the program.

tmr4869- don't be nervous- they were all very nice and supportive! I actually enjoyed myself (except for having a migraine). I think my interview went well, but we'll see :wink:. Congratulations on the good GRE- I imagine you must be relieved to have that out of the way.

askyoulc- let me know what you think. I was really impressed with them and am really hoping I get an acceptance offer. I really want to attend a program with the systems-based learning- It just makes so much more sense to me to learn things that way.

hopeful29- They did not mention anything having more weight than anything else. When deciding for scholarships, their website says they take everything into account, so I imagine the same is true for admissions....

tmr4869- don't be nervous- they were all very nice and supportive! I actually enjoyed myself (except for having a migraine). I think my interview went well, but we'll see :wink:. Congratulations on the good GRE- I imagine you must be relieved to have that out of the way.

askyoulc- let me know what you think. I was really impressed with them and am really hoping I get an acceptance offer. I really want to attend a program with the systems-based learning- It just makes so much more sense to me to learn things that way.

hopeful29- They did not mention anything having more weight than anything else. When deciding for scholarships, their website says they take everything into account, so I imagine the same is true for admissions....

Guest askyoulc

Unfortunately I didn't make it to the interview. I had a little mishap outside my hotel which made it impossible to go to the interview. Pretty bummed but they said I could come in March to interview then. Don't know if I will as plane tickets are expensive. Glad to hear y'all's went well. Good luck!

Guest askyoulc

Unfortunately I didn't make it to the interview. I had a little mishap outside my hotel which made it impossible to go to the interview. Pretty bummed but they said I could come in March to interview then. Don't know if I will as plane tickets are expensive. Glad to hear y'all's went well. Good luck!

Archived