Hopeless GRE

Hi.. 

I took the GRE 1 year ago and scored a 293. (I know terrible) I retook the exam about 2 months after and scored worse, even though I felt better with pacing etc. I still applied with with 293 score. I got a few interviews at some really good schools..but no acceptance. 

I am going to retake the GRE a week from today to aim for a better score. I have been studying nonstop with Magoosh. I took my first practice exam a week ago and scored a 290. I'm so discouraged. I'm not dumb by any means, but the GRE just kills me. 

I feel like when I read the verbal section that I can't hear what I am reading in my head. It is completely blocked. Does anyone know what I mean or am I crazy? The quant section is easier for me. 

If you got interviews but no acceptances, your GRE score probably was not a factor. Once you're invited in, you're essentially tied with everyone else who got an invitation.

Increasing your GRE score might get you some more interviews, but also spend some time working on how you come across in interviews.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you got interviews but no acceptances, your GRE score probably was not a factor. Once you're invited in, you're essentially tied with everyone else who got an invitation.

Increasing your GRE score might get you some more interviews, but also spend some time working on how you come across in interviews.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That was exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you!

I agree with UGoLong that the GRE is probably not a huge factor in your application.

I completely can relate to not "hearing what I am reading in my head." Sometimes I lack the focus to really understand what a passage is saying. Force yourself to read and understand. Do not let yourself get lazy by keeping your mind active!

I agree with UGoLong that the GRE is probably not a huge factor in your application.

I completely can relate to not "hearing what I am reading in my head." Sometimes I lack the focus to really understand what a passage is saying. Force yourself to read and understand. Do not let yourself get lazy by keeping your mind active!

Thank you! 

Thank goodness someone knows what I am talking about. I feel nuts when I say that...I'm going to try and visualize what I am reading while I read it. I think my active reading needs to improve. 

Archived