Air force/navy hpsp

Hello,

This is my first post.

I am most interested in the AF HPSP program and I am excited about the opportunity to serve and to be a PA in the military.

I have a few questions:

Does anyone know what the big factors are in your acceptance to the scholarship?  I have a great GPA and am working in urgent care as a medical scribe and volunteering as an EMT/firefighter.  Should securing a veteran as reference be a priority for me?  What do you think my chances of getting a scholarship are if I apply on time (obviously going to be dependent on the number they offer...)?

Can anyone who did this program comment on  what your service commitment is/was like (I know that is a hugely general question... and I have been reading up on this a lot...  maybe just a couple sentances)?  What are the biggest challenges/rewards?

My GF is also possibly going to be applying to the AF through the HPSP as an MD student… if we get married will we be guarunteed to be stationed in the same place?  I understand our deployments won’t be the same schedule/place.

I am open to deploying and working with service members and locals in a disaster relief or combat zone... can anyone comment on that... how that (and the role of AF PAs) is changing now that we are out of Iraq and exiting Afganistan.  Can people comment on their experiences in their 3 years of committed time in this regard?  Did you get those kind of experiences in those first 3 years, how were they, etc.

I would most likely be doing more than 3 years (because my GF wouldn't be out for a long time after that!).

Finally, how do the advanced studies that the military offers PAs translate into the civilian health care system?

Thanks so much in advance; you guys have created a great resource for us prospective PAs here... sorry for all the questions!

• 1 month later...

I am about to apply to PA school. What is the benefit to joining active duty over reserve? For me the idea of being able to work in EM in civilian world, work in EMS/rescue in my free time, AND be in the NAVY all at the same time sounds like a dream come true. And you know, more family time and all that jazz. Am i missing something with why I would want to be active duty (taking HPSP) over joining reserve? 

• 4 weeks later...

Gentleman,

How competitive are HPSP and HSCP for potential navy applicants? Will prior service be viewed favorably?

There is no HPSP anymore for Navy PAs. It exists, but they allocated zero slots to it. HSCP is only moderately competitive if you get your app in early. 15 slots on rolling admission. They don't really look at one person and say "do we want him over this other guy?" They just look at you and say yes or no. If there is a slot left you get it. If they have given them away then you don't. Prior service is viewed favorably.

• 2 weeks later...

There is no HPSP anymore for Navy PAs. It exists, but they allocated zero slots to it. HSCP is only moderately competitive if you get your app in early. 15 slots on rolling admission. They don't really look at one person and say "do we want him over this other guy?" They just look at you and say yes or no. If there is a slot left you get it. If they have given them away then you don't. Prior service is viewed favorably.

By any chance, do you know what they are looking for in an app? I'll be prior service, but may have an RE-3O reenlist meant code for not reenlisting after career designation. (It's strange, I know)

I called a healthcare recruiter and he was optimistic about it being waived, partially because it's, ''stupid''.

By any chance, do you know what they are looking for in an app? I'll be prior service, but may have an RE-3O reenlist meant code for not reenlisting after career designation. (It's strange, I know)

I called a healthcare recruiter and he was optimistic about it being waived, partially because it's, ''stupid''.

Since I've never been on the board I can only imagine typical things. Decent GPA (doesn't have to be spectacular), experience, essay that speaks to the navy core values, good interviews.

• 2 years later...

Is it possible to get into the military Navy/Air Force with a history of anxiety of depression? How much medical information do you give them? I fear I will be rejected because I went to see a psychologist in the past and had been on medication in the past. I have always wanted to serve, but I fear the medical review board will hold it against me that I'm 35 and have lived life and was able to afford to see a psychologist and psychiatrist at a time in my life that I needed to. Seems unfair to reject someone because they were able to get the help they needed, but the navy recruiter I spoke with said they aren't taking anyone with a history of anxiety and depression, as if no one out there has ever had anxiety or depression, that's just being human and if you can afford to get help you should!

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

First of all, I'm happy you were able to take care of yourself. 

Second,  No it's not fair but military gets enough people signing up so they can chose who to accept. 

Third, yes, many if not everyone will face anxiety and depression at some point but not everyone requires treatment or medication. 

Military already has a very high rate of suicides so it only makes sense if they want to minimize the risk by selecting who to accept.  

Just my opinion. 

• Upvote 1

• 10 months later...

Does anyone know if any branch has a tuition repayment program?

I am beginning school this upcoming year. I want to serve in the military and figured that getting repaid on the debt would be great! I think I read somewhere that the army HPSP repays, but it looked like army and air force you need to be enrolled in the program while also in school? Could anyone clarify this?

2 other questions:

Is one branch's HPSP program better than the others? Should I apply to multiple? I just want to serve and as a medical personnel, I feel like they will all be similar as far as responsibilities.

Also could someone clarify which are active duty vs reserves and what not? 

• Upvote 2

• 2 years later...

I have recently applied for both the AF & Navy HPSP (Health Professions Scholarship Program). For those who have applied, has anyone heard back yet? Mine supposidly met the board offset early this month (jan.2012). I'm also curious if anyone has any idea how many slots are left or if it is already full.Any additional advice about the program is welcome also! Thanks