57 replies to this topic

#41 hamiltjn

hamiltjn

Registered

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:31 PM

Everyone forgot to mention the time you will spend in meetings which drag on for hours.

Which in all honesty makes it almost not worth it to get these scholarships.

#42 ace6foot8

ace6foot8

Registered

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:28 AM

Hey everyone! I just got accepted to a PA school and started reading about the HPSP. A quick question that I can't seem to find he answer to, my school is three years long. Is it even possible to get the HPSP for three years? It sounds like getting two years covered is the most I can hope for (which is still a pretty dang good deal).

Also, could anyone explain in a little more detail what "deployment" means. I understand that after accepting this scholarship, the military can tell me to move to Japan/Germany/Texas/or where ever. I don't really care where they send me as long as my wife can move with me. However, after I move once I can be "deployed". During this time I live on ship or in a combat zone. It only last 6-12 months, but family can't come with (am I right so far?). My big question is what happens while I'm on deployment. My main interest in being a PA is primary care, but do Marines in Afghanistan really need that? Am I ever going to need to go on patrol or what not?

I know these are some pretty basic questions, but I really want to hear how non-recruiters answer them. Thanks in advance to anyone who chimes in!

#43 LT_Oneal_PAC

LT_Oneal_PAC

PA-C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:42 AM

Hey everyone! I just got accepted to a PA school and started reading about the HPSP. A quick question that I can't seem to find he answer to, my school is three years long. Is it even possible to get the HPSP for three years? It sounds like getting two years covered is the most I can hope for (which is still a pretty dang good deal).

Also, could anyone explain in a little more detail what "deployment" means. I understand that after accepting this scholarship, the military can tell me to move to Japan/Germany/Texas/or where ever. I don't really care where they send me as long as my wife can move with me. However, after I move once I can be "deployed". During this time I live on ship or in a combat zone. It only last 6-12 months, but family can't come with (am I right so far?). My big question is what happens while I'm on deployment. My main interest in being a PA is primary care, but do Marines in Afghanistan really need that? Am I ever going to need to go on patrol or what not?

I know these are some pretty basic questions, but I really want to hear how non-recruiters answer them. Thanks in advance to anyone who chimes in!

There is no HPSP for the Navy this year, but they are expanding the number of HSCP (not a scholarship, but you get the salary of E6 rank up to 55k per year, tricare for you and family, and all other active duty benefits with your only job being a student) slots.though they may have it next fiscal year (October to October).

You can ony get HPSP or HSCP as a PA for only 24 months.

You are sent to a duty station, which is where you live until deployment. Deployment in the navy can be with marines, on a ship, possibly an augmented deployment with the Army to put it simply. Navy deployments are typically about 7 months, but everything is based on the needs of the military. IF you are sent to a duty station overseas (Japan, Germany, ect), this is considered "deployment." You will spend you 3 years there at your duty station, then they like to bring you back to the states. Some people do "island hop" and stay gone longer going from one overseas duty station to another.

I'm going to be signing my HSCP papers in a few weeks. If you have any questions about basic branch differences, HPSP/HSCP application process, or whatever else feel free to PM me.

U.S. Navy PA, FMFQO
LT "Doc Holliday", PA-C, RN

#44 LT_Oneal_PAC

LT_Oneal_PAC

PA-C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:24 AM

Oh and yes, marines and afghans need primary care. People there go without vaccinations. They need even the most basic care. Marines are always tearing, breaking things, getting sniffles, and what not. Always a fair bit a trauma and other things.

U.S. Navy PA, FMFQO

#45 Metallicat

Metallicat

Registered

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:33 AM

Re: Deployments, I agree w/ what Oneal has said. The only thing I would add is that there is difference in being stationed at a "Shore Command" and an "Operational" One(i.e. Marines, SpecWar, Carrier). When Oneal says you can be "augmented" for a deployment, this would be done out of a shore command. For example, right now I'm stationed at Clinic in Washington state, but I was "augmented", or IA, to a Marine unit out of AZ last fall for an 8 mo deployment to Afghanistan. Two of our docs also went IA to the Marines and Army respectively. The general feeling is that this stuff "should" be slowing down a lot, but you never know. Next I'm going to an operational command w/ the Marines. When you're with an operational command you deploy w/ the unit you are stationed with and you should expect to deploy at least once while with that unit, maybe more depending on when you arrive to that command and their operational schedule. And yes, if you plan on staying in the Navy, you need to plan on taking on an operational billet here and there.

#46 jtracy

jtracy

Registered

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:39 AM

I have not thought of really going the military before, but I don't want to be saddled with debt. Can you please provide me with more information to have the military pay/help pay for a P.A. program? What does it cover? How long do you have to enlist? How long are you deployed?

#47 eliza_gail

eliza_gail

Registered

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:52 PM

Hi all,
I'm Elizabeth. I'm new to this forum. I am currently in the Air Force HPSP program. I graduate from the University of South Alabama August 1, 2013. I am recently married and my husband is a Marine Corps officer stationed at Camp Pendleton, CA. I am trying to get stationed with him but it is very difficult with the Air Force. I may be able to switch over to the Navy HPSP program. One of the directors told me if I have another PA willing to switch to the AF, so essentially "swap" places, it would be more appealing. I was just trying to see if anyone in Navy HPSP is interested in switching to the AF?

Thanks!

#48 PAC AAC

PAC AAC

Registered

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:34 PM

I've been talking to a USAF recruiter for about four months now. I had my HPSP packet filled out and ready to go a couple days ago. When the recruiter got back to me, he said that the Air Force isn't projected to offer ANY scholarships to PA students this year, despite the fact that they offered over 40 scholarships last year. Does anyone know if this is true?

#49 LT_Oneal_PAC

LT_Oneal_PAC

PA-C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:46 PM

The military is plum out of scholarships for PAs. The Navy definitely isn't doing HPSP and they didn't do it last year either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

U.S. Navy PA, FMFQO

#50 Navy PA-C

Navy PA-C

Navy PA-C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:39 PM

The military is plum out of scholarships for PAs. The Navy definitely isn't doing HPSP and they didn't do it last year either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Agree. The Corps Admiral stated that there will be an increase in HSCP to account for HPSP quota deletion. Of course this could mean as little as 1 slot/FY...NAVADMIN pending so I will update when it is "official". Sorry all, budget cuts are running deeep.
-NAVY PA-C

#51 MAPA

MAPA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:13 PM

Hello,

This is my first post.

I am most interested in the AF HPSP program and I am excited about the opportunity to serve and to be a PA in the military.

I have a few questions:

Does anyone know what the big factors are in your acceptance to the scholarship?  I have a great GPA and am working in urgent care as a medical scribe and volunteering as an EMT/firefighter.  Should securing a veteran as reference be a priority for me?  What do you think my chances of getting a scholarship are if I apply on time (obviously going to be dependent on the number they offer...)?

Can anyone who did this program comment on  what your service commitment is/was like (I know that is a hugely general question... and I have been reading up on this a lot...  maybe just a couple sentances)?  What are the biggest challenges/rewards?

My GF is also possibly going to be applying to the AF through the HPSP as an MD student… if we get married will we be guarunteed to be stationed in the same place?  I understand our deployments won’t be the same schedule/place.

I am open to deploying and working with service members and locals in a disaster relief or combat zone... can anyone comment on that... how that (and the role of AF PAs) is changing now that we are out of Iraq and exiting Afganistan.  Can people comment on their experiences in their 3 years of committed time in this regard?  Did you get those kind of experiences in those first 3 years, how were they, etc.

I would most likely be doing more than 3 years (because my GF wouldn't be out for a long time after that!).

Finally, how do the advanced studies that the military offers PAs translate into the civilian health care system?

Thanks so much in advance; you guys have created a great resource for us prospective PAs here... sorry for all the questions!

#52 Rescue_med-01

Rescue_med-01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:18 AM

I am about to apply to PA school. What is the benefit to joining active duty over reserve? For me the idea of being able to work in EM in civilian world, work in EMS/rescue in my free time, AND be in the NAVY all at the same time sounds like a dream come true. And you know, more family time and all that jazz. Am i missing something with why I would want to be active duty (taking HPSP) over joining reserve? 

#53 3moose1

3moose1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:04 AM

Gentleman,

How competitive are HPSP and HSCP for potential navy applicants? Will prior service be viewed favorably?

#54 LT_Oneal_PAC

LT_Oneal_PAC

PA-C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:36 PM

Gentleman,

How competitive are HPSP and HSCP for potential navy applicants? Will prior service be viewed favorably?

There is no HPSP anymore for Navy PAs. It exists, but they allocated zero slots to it. HSCP is only moderately competitive if you get your app in early. 15 slots on rolling admission. They don't really look at one person and say "do we want him over this other guy?" They just look at you and say yes or no. If there is a slot left you get it. If they have given them away then you don't. Prior service is viewed favorably.

U.S. Navy PA, FMFQO

#55 sagarhaele

sagarhaele

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:04 AM

There are five military branches and they are The Army, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard. The Army is commanded by a four-star general, known as the Army.Jobs in this is a bit riskey but,we feel proud when we serve for our country..

free job posting websites in india

#56 3moose1

3moose1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:46 AM

There is no HPSP anymore for Navy PAs. It exists, but they allocated zero slots to it. HSCP is only moderately competitive if you get your app in early. 15 slots on rolling admission. They don't really look at one person and say "do we want him over this other guy?" They just look at you and say yes or no. If there is a slot left you get it. If they have given them away then you don't. Prior service is viewed favorably.

By any chance, do you know what they are looking for in an app? I'll be prior service, but may have an RE-3O reenlist meant code for not reenlisting after career designation. (It's strange, I know)

I called a healthcare recruiter and he was optimistic about it being waived, partially because it's, ''stupid''.

#57 LT_Oneal_PAC

LT_Oneal_PAC

PA-C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:56 AM

By any chance, do you know what they are looking for in an app? I'll be prior service, but may have an RE-3O reenlist meant code for not reenlisting after career designation. (It's strange, I know)

I called a healthcare recruiter and he was optimistic about it being waived, partially because it's, ''stupid''.

Since I've never been on the board I can only imagine typical things. Decent GPA (doesn't have to be spectacular), experience, essay that speaks to the navy core values, good interviews.

U.S. Navy PA, FMFQO

#58 amb1030

amb1030

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:44 PM

Is it possible to get into the military Navy/Air Force with a history of anxiety of depression? How much medical information do you give them? I fear I will be rejected because I went to see a psychologist in the past and had been on medication in the past. I have always wanted to serve, but I fear the medical review board will hold it against me that I'm 35 and have lived life and was able to afford to see a psychologist and psychiatrist at a time in my life that I needed to. Seems unfair to reject someone because they were able to get the help they needed, but the navy recruiter I spoke with said they aren't taking anyone with a history of anxiety and depression, as if no one out there has ever had anxiety or depression, that's just being human and if you can afford to get help you should!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users