Practicing without state license

I'm a recent grad out in rural Idaho and I'm in the process of getting licensed by the state but have not received my license yet. My SP really needs me to start and says I can start right away under what he calls the "husband umbrella". I've never heard of this and can't find it anywhere on the Idaho BOM website, but I've found plenty of places that say I cannot practice until I am licensed. My SP is adamant but I'm pretty uncomfortable goin forward until I'm licensed. Has anyone heard of this "husband umbrella"? Is there a precedent for practicing with only national cert and no state license? Thanks in advanced.

I'm a recent grad out in rural Idaho and I'm in the process of getting licensed by the state but have not received my license yet. My SP really needs me to start and says I can start right away under what he calls the "husband umbrella". I've never heard of this and can't find it anywhere on the Idaho BOM website, but I've found plenty of places that say I cannot practice until I am licensed. My SP is adamant but I'm pretty uncomfortable goin forward until I'm licensed. Has anyone heard of this "husband umbrella"? Is there a precedent for practicing with only national cert and no state license? Thanks in advanced.

Might exist in Idaho, but I doubt it. Sounds sketchy. Have you tried googling it?

State medical board site: "No practice is permitted prior to issuance of a license number. Applicants are advised not to enter irrevocable contracts, purchase or sales agreements, on the assumption that permit/licensure will be granted."

I'll say it again, it is each PA's responsibility to know the rules/regulations for their respective practice state. It took me 2 1/2 minutes to find the answer to your situation.

Addendum: I'd also call the medical board and ask them about the phrase quoted to you. Why? To see if valid, and if not why aren't online guidelines amended, but more importantly would you be able to trust them in the future? That would be a BIG if for me. Let us know what you find out!

State medical board site: "No practice is permitted prior to issuance of a license number. Applicants are advised not to enter irrevocable contracts, purchase or sales agreements, on the assumption that permit/licensure will be granted."

I'll say it again, it is each PA's responsibility to know the rules/regulations for their respective practice state. It took me 2 1/2 minutes to find the answer to your situation.

Addendum: I'd also call the medical board and ask them about the phrase quoted to you. Why? If not valid, and if not why aren't online guidelines amended, but more importantly would you be able to trust them in the future? That would be a BIG if for me. Let us know what you find out!

Absolutely agree and thanks for reinforcing what I feel. I've directed him to the website, faxed him the actual rules and made it clear that it said the same thing all over my license application. He's only ever had NP's working for him so that "husband umbrella" may exist in their realm of practice but wasn't sure if there was some loophole I hadn't heard before for PAs or some precedent to assuage my hesitations. I definitely don't want to start off my career illegally.

"husband".......Are s/he married to you?  This is crazy talk.  Agree with the above that it is YOUR responsibility to know practice laws.  This forum is a great sounding board, but only your state medical board or PA association can give you the best response in regards to questions like this.  

Archived