IUHS MD program

There are several carib, etc "bridge programs for pa's" to md's. they all make you an fmg/img so getting a residency is definitely in doubt.

the way to go is the lecom 3 yr pa to do bridge. you are an american grad and will get a residency placement.

There are several carib, etc "bridge programs for pa's" to md's. they all make you an fmg/img so getting a residency is definitely in doubt.

the way to go is the lecom 3 yr pa to do bridge. you are an american grad and will get a residency placement.

Though being a DO does not help you in residency placement. If you want very competitive residencies-- surgery, rads, derm, opthalmo it is a bit of an uphill battle.

If you plan on family practice you are probably fine with either. If you plan on neurosurgery you are probably going to be disappointed with either.

True, true.. I just wanted to point it out since we're discussing fmg MD options and emed mentioned that LECOM would be a better route.

If you plan on family practice you are probably fine with either. If you plan on neurosurgery you are probably going to be disappointed with either.

DO's also have their own neurosurg, derm, etc residencies. they don't have to compete with md's if they don't want to. I know many DO subspeciaalists who are heads of their depts and did osteopathic specialty training. for example the chief of our stroke team is a DO as are the chiefs of EM at 2 of the 3 facilities I work at.

see here:

http://www.opportunities.osteopathic.org/search/search.cfm

DO's also have their own neurosurg, derm, etc residencies. they don't have to compete with md's if they don't want to. I know many DO subspeciaalists who are heads of their depts and did osteopathic specialty training. for example the chief of our stroke team is a DO as are the chiefs of EM at 2 of the 3 facilities I work at.

see here:

http://www.opportunities.osteopathic.org/search/search.cfm

Those spots are VERY limited when you consider the number of DOs that match into residencies each year. I know a DO who was deadset on ortho and said that there were like 50 positions nationally in osteopathic ortho residencies. These residencies also aren't as "prestigious" if that is something that matters to you. There are several residency programs that flat out refuse to accept DOs, regardless of their credentials and performance.

Archived