My chances of getting into PA school within 2 years??

I'm new to the forum and have a question thats been on my mind since I've started to pursue PA school.

First of all, I live in Washington state and plan on applying to University of Washington PA program (MEDEX http://www.washington.edu/medicine/som/depts/medex/ ) . Particularly, the bachelor degree option they offer.

A little info on me (Education & Clinical )

Education:

GPA

Engl 101: 3.6

Engl 212: 3.4

BIO 160: 3.5

BIO 240 A&P: 3.4

BIO 221 A&P 2: Will be taking next quarter.

Clinical Experience:

Emergency Department Tech: 4100 hours of patient care (Still currently working 35+ hours a week)

Certs:

EMT

BLS

ACLS

PALS

Finally to my question, What do you think could increase my chances of being accepted to the program? The thing that makes me nervous is the average years of clinical hours for people being accepted into the program is around 7 years while I only have 2 as of now. I would like to think that since my 2 years is in the emergency room, which is all direct patient care, that would make my clinical hours stick out a little more. One reason that makes me worried is because I dont want to work another 5 years until I'm finally accepted into a program. Any input is appreciated!!!

Thank you for your time.

Could you schedule a meeting with the schools you want to attend? You could provide them a copy of your transcript and a description of your work experience and then ask them for a candid perspective on whether you were a good candidate for acceptance or not. I visited 5 programs before starting the CASPA application process. 4 of the 5 programs were willing to give me candid feedback on the strengths and weaknesses of my academic and work background. Their opinion is the only real source of good information.

Frankly, as a prospective PA student I don't have the qualifications to provide you with useful information.

I haven't been accepted by a school yet, so I have no qualifications to back my opinion...but if you read the MEDEX admin requirements, sounds like you are on target to be qualified come next cycle. Plus, U of W is a "regional" training program...in other words...they love their home grown students. aka: Washingtonians. They are also very much into training primary care providers for underserved communities. If you fit that bill, you may fair better than some guy who wants to be a surgical PA who is applying from Oklahoma or California with more years of experience and better grades.

It's 130 or so dollars and a few days of time. I bet you blow that much cash on a good shopping spree or birthday celebration. I say gamble the cash. Even if you get an interview but not selected, you have gained an enormous amount of experience in the application process and will be sharper next round.

Kvill, I recommend you make time to go to a MEDEX information session. I think this will really answer all of your questions, and put your mind at ease. You should be able to speak directly with the Admissions director who has been at each of the sessions I attended (in the past they have been offered in Bremerton, Seattle, Spokane and I think in Yakima). She is a fabulous, incredible lady! Also, check out EMEDPA's specialty. ;) One of my good friends is a recent grad of UW's BCHS program, and she is working in emergency medicine. Life is dynamic, so just stay open to the experience. You might change your mind while you're in school! :D

Also, why do you have a time requirement of two years? I arrived at PA via a raaaaather circuitous route, gathering good experience along the way, so I am only curious. Additionally, as a PA reapplicant, I can tell you that the world doesn't come to an end and the second time around is much easier. Last year I was accepted to a program I didn't want to attend, withdrew (from an acceptance) from another due to a change in my preceptor's circumstances, and ultimately was not offered admission to another program. This year, I was offered admission to every school where I interviewed. Just a thought. KNOW what your plan is if you are not admitted in the first round, and be able to clearly articulate your answer.

Best of luck to you!

Archived