Need advice deciding between PA and other healthcare fields

I am an undergrad bio major starting my junior year this fall, also pursuing a minor in economics. I have done reasonably well in most of my undergrad science courses, but I am starting to debate my chosen path. I hope to apply to a PA program after getting a few years of fulltime HCE. I have also been led to debate other options--after taking Microbiology over this past semester, I have been very attracted to medical microbiology and related fields. Micro was really my epiphany that the field isn't just all direct patient care.

My academic situation consists of a cumulative 3.49 overall, however my science GPA is in the 3.2ish range due to o-chem.bang.gif I withdrew from Organic 1 this semester and will be taking it again next cycle with more preparation and reduced extra-curricular commitments and hours at my work-study job. I've ended my involvement in my collegiate marching band last semester, instead enrolling in my school's biology honors program, a 2-year major program in addition to my classes that is an introduction to the research process.

More to the point, I am starting to question whether applying to PA school would be the right option for me. I had been putting in 80 to 90 hour weeks this past semester, but I am more than comfortable with doing that, since I really do love what I do and have a passion for science and healthcare. My concern is that I do not want to be "tied" to my current job to the point that I can't pursue anything else with my life. Knowing that PA's routinely work in excess of 80 hrs/week and that their work schedule and responsibilities are completely dependent on the physician that employs them, I'm starting to wonder if I would have the flexibility to ask my employer for a weeklong vacation with my family, for instance. Although I understand that there is a degree of commitment to my patients and the practice that my MD will (and should!) expect, I am concerned that as a PA, my time will never be my own unless I own and operate my own practice as an MD, and I do not intend to apply to medical school. Anyone that has been in this situation that can offer advice would be greatly appreciated.

How many PAs have you shadowed/interviewed? I don't know any who work 80 hr weeks unless they want to nor do I know any who are forbidden from vacations. 80 hr weeks at 80k/yr salary is 20 bucks/hr. If you are finding PAs doing that, avoid them. They are selling themselves and the profession short.

The OP brings up some interesting points about picking jobs. As far as job situations go, you can work for yourself or you can work for someone else (I've done both). You have more flexibility working for yourself, but you really are working for your customers and you have bills to pay. If you work for someone else, you will have vacation days and still be paid. As a PA, other people will depend on you so you can't take off unless your work is covered by someone else. That is also the case with most jobs.

I work 4 twelve hour days with no weekends (for now). If you work in an ER, then you work some days, some nights, and so many shifts per month. If you work surgery, you work when your doc works. In any event, you will still have time off.

You are young and you deserve the right to pick your own future. I heard a great quote today. In speaking of his father, a dear friend of mine said that, when asked what his father wanted to do with his life, he answered, "I don't know, but I know what I want to feel like while I'm doing it." Ask yourself what you would like to feel like and then find a job that fits that. Don't go for money or status and don't assume that whatever you start out doing is what you will be doing forever. Picking a career is not something you generally do once.

Good luck.

Although I understand that there is a degree of commitment to my patients and the practice that my MD will (and should!) expect, I am concerned that as a PA, my time will never be my own unless I own and operate my own practice as an MD, and I do not intend to apply to medical school.

I think there are a couple folks on this forum who are operating a clinic of their own. I'm not sure of the details, because I merely glanced at that particular thread; I have no desire to be my own boss! I believe there is a sticky thread...and that it is a pain clinic. (?? Someone correct me here if I'm off-base.)

If being in charge of your schedule is appealing and med school is not, I don't think being a PA has to be out of the question. There is a PA in our town who has his own office with no doc on site. Granted, the doc's name is on the marquee....but it is the PA whose name is in large letters. The SP lives in a different city and supervises remotely. Who knows how long it took for the relationship to reach the point that the doc was okay for the PA to work alone, though. Maybe someone else out there is in a situation like this one and can comment....

Archived