Switching Major

I have taken all of my prerequisites but I have had to repeat most of them. I am doing well on the repeats. Had a tough time during that period. Anyway, my science GPA needs a booster but I don't have any general education requirements left or prereqs left. My science GPA is 2.8-9. I am currently retaking Anatomy & Physiology I over again and need to retake General Chemistry II over again as well. I will also be taking Biochemistry, Histology, and Pathophysiology.

My main question is... is Psychology a good major? I heavily considered Biology but I have to have at least 12 credits per semester to stay in school and I feel like I will crash with all those Biology courses with Physics on top. Any advice?

I would major in whatever you are the most interested in. You can get into PA school with any major as long as you have the prerequisites and have performed well in them. One thing I can say is that you will need to learn how to handle a heavy course load to be successful in PA school, and so if you are concerned about your ability to handle 12 credits of science in one semester, you might want to look into improving your study habits. Most semesters in PA school you will be faced with 18-24 science credits, and they will all be much more challenging than most sciences at the undergraduate level.

How do PA schools look at repeated courses? I have had a few Cs in the prereqs. Chem I - C+ (took it over, got B), Chem II - C (will take it over), General Bio 2 - C- (took it over, got A-). Anatomy & P I - C+ (taking it over now) and Anatomy II - C+ (took it again, got B+)

Your GPA on CASPA for these courses will be averaged (i.e. both will count towards your GPA). So if you get a C in one class, and an A on the retake, your GPA for those classes will be a B (3.0). Many students who retake 1 or 2 classes and do much better (i.e. go from a C or D to an A or B+) are able to be accepted into PA schools. I do not know how applicants are evaluated who retake more than 1 or 2 prerequisites.

Archived