Letter of Recommendation from a Non-Science Professor

I'm wondering if getting a letter of recommendation from a non-science professor is a bad idea. I have had very little interaction with my post-bac science professors, and do not feel that any of them could write a strong letter of recommendation for me. I have done well in the prerequisite courses, I just don't really know my professors on a personal level, and I highly doubt any of them are familiar with the PA profession. However, I was close to a couple of professors as an undergraduate and also in graduate school... unfortunately, these degrees were in social sciences.

So far, I have letters being written by an RN/MSN I worked alongside and a PA I have shadowed. I think the third should come from a Professor/someone that can speak to my academic ability and potential. Other options include healthcare lawyers I have worked with and other nurses I have worked with. I'm a hospital CNA, so I have very little contact with MDs at work. PAs are few and far between where I live, and not employed by the hospital I work at.

First of all, I would check with the schools that you're applying to because some may have very specific requirements for LOR's. With that said - I think it would be wise to get your 3rd letter from someone who knows you well in an academic setting. I don't think it's a bad idea to get one from a non-science professor - if I were you I would go with the professor you were closest to who knows you very well.

I was in the same situation (barely knew my science professors) and ended up asking a psych professor. I was in several of her classes, worked in her research lab, and she was my academic advisor. I thought it would be best to get a letter from someone who could easily speak of my academic ability rather than a science professor who probably didn't even remember who I was.

My other letters were from an employer (MD that I worked for in a non-clinical setting) and clinical supervisor (RN who was the Director of Emergency Services at the ER where I worked). I thought this was a good mix of people who knew me very well in different settings. This ended up working out very well for me as I got into my top choice. Hope this helps and good luck!

Archived