Should I get Medical Assistant certificate for experience?

This past semester I graduated from my university with a B.S. in biochemistry with a 3.8 GPA. I intend to apply to a PA program but I recognize I need the proper experience in order to be a competitive applicant (I currently have no relevant medical experience). I recently got a job as a pharmacy technician, and I intend to work in this position for at least 2 years to gain some experience.

My original plan was to return to my community college and get a medical assistant certificate and work as a MA for a while, as my understanding is that the experience I would gain from that position would be very applicable for PA school. However, since being a pharmacy tech also qualifies as acceptable experience for application to PA school (at least at the ones I've looked at), I was wondering if I could get some opinions on whether pursuing the MA certificate would even be worth it at this point, or if I should just save my money and work as a tech for a while. Thanks in advance for any replies that I might get to this.

• 4 months later...

Depending on if you like emergency medicine, EMT route would be the way to go. It is a short 2-3 month course that will give you a variety of experiences. I am a Pediatric Care Tech and received my CNA. I plan on finishing my last semester of MA and do both. As an MA you can go into various specialties and work in hospitals/clinics/private practice. 

Archived