Is it worth taking the GRE?

I'm wondering if its even worth me taking the GRE for PA school. Honestly, it seems like all PA school are about the same price and generally providing the same education. I don't have a serious significant other, and have no major attachment to any particular school/ region as long as its not in the boonies. I feel like studying for the GRE gives me more options, but I already feel like I've got too many options.

Alternatively, I could take the GRE without studying too hard (I diagnostically tested at the 69th percentile for Verabl and the 80th for Quant).

Thoughts?

It is not hard to take the GRE and, if you hate your grades, you could still apply to programs that don't require it. I was nearly 40 years out of college when I took it (again that is; the first time was in 1967!). First I had to study the little math book you can download from their website. Basically it's an aptitude test. Learn how to deal with the different question types and go for it.

I think you have to ask yourself what are you afraid of. You are going to be going into a challenging environment in school and dodging a challenge now may not be the best way to get ready for that.

As my late Mom used to say, "What's the worse thing that could happen?" Oh yeah Mom: I'd be right where I was before I took the shot.

Take it, one of those schools might be the one that you choose. You also seem pretty confident with the material so I would definitely take it because studying for it would not be super stressful. The worst thing that happens is you bomb and don't apply to those schools. The best is you do well and it is one more thing that sets you apart from someone else in the decision process.

Archived