Apply this cycle?

I completed my undergrad in 2004 with a 2.80 cGPA and 2.46 sGPA. Began taking prereqs in Spring 2012 and have completed 37 credits at 4.0. After summer session (assuming I continue to get all A's) my stats will be 3.08 cGPA and 2.95 sGPA. I also obtained my EMT certification last year and work part time for a private ambulance company (~350 hours to date) in addition to my normal full time job running a family business.

My original plan was to apply next cycle (2014-15) with my grades as high as possible (3.20 cGPA, 3.10 sGPA) and as many HCE hours that I can rack up working part time (goal is 1000). It appears that I will be able to meet the requirements this year for a number of the programs that I am interested in. The exception being my number one choice which has a GPA minimum of 3.20.

Should I apply this year or continue with my original plan? Besides not meeting the requirements at my top choice, what are the negatives of applying this cycle? Would I need to get all new LOR's if I have to reapply next cycle?

Thanks in advance.

I think you should apply. It'll do two things. First it'll get all your info into CASPA and will make you familiar with the process. And secondly what's the worse that'll happen? You may get an interview and who knows may even be accepted. I applied this past cycle (2012-2013) to programs I for their criteria and that I genuinely wanted to attend while I was working on my application for this current cycle (2013-2014). I never had to opportunity to apply to my top program but oh well. I'm happy I got in and I absolutely fell in love with the school that accepted me during the interview day.

So go take a shot at it. There's only benefits to trying at this point and not really any downside outside of paying for applying.

Best of luck!

Archived