LOR from a NP?

I am in an odd situation and was wondering if anyone could give me some input.

For my 3 LORs, I could potentially ask these people:

-Science Professor from school that I conduct Undergrad research with, have taken 2 courses with, and would consider myself close to (Definitely plan on asking her)

-A PA that I have shadowed 12 hours thus far, and will continue to do so for as long as possible. However, his written English is terrible, and I do not want that to hurt me during the admissions process. There's no way I can nicely ask to "edit" the LOR either, since he will need to submit it online.

-A NP with 10 years experience (plus 10 years as an RN), working in family practices, and a major city hospital oncology unit. I know her very well, and she has helped me network with PAs and set me up to shadow two PAs at her hospital for one shift, and also helped me meet the PA explained above. I've shadowed her for a 12 hour shift also. I don't know if a PA admissions office would find a LOR from an NP a negative thing.

-[A future employer for an ambulance company once I take my EMT certification exam. By the time I apply, I would have known this person for ~10 months. Obviously this one is really unreliable as it is only speculation].

Ideally, I want to assume that my future employer and I get to know each other well enough for he/she to write me a LOR. Who would I chose between, the NP that I know very well, or the PA that I am getting to know, but may write an essay that is not written in proper English.

Any input would be great, thank you

As a PA, I wrote LORs for NP students. I see no harm in going the other way too. Get someone who knows you, the life of a "mid-level," and writes well. I would suggest you flesh out your threesome with (1) a professor who can speak to your academic skills and (2) and employer, medical if possible, who can speak to your work ethic.

Good luck!

Thanks! I think I am going to go with the NP. Anyways, I've read posts on here that suggest staying away from LORs from PAs that you shadow, unless you shadow them for a significant period of time. Plus with the PA's written English being sub-par, I think I want to avoid any conflicts that may come with that.

Archived