Nursing Home dog Therapy-- other HCE??

I've been volunteering with my mutt for the past 2 years or so about 6 hours a month and will continue to. We go to a Nursing Home and visit patients, providing therapy via dog love(?), chatting with patients, ect... I know it's a shot in the dark, but honestly its probably more patient interaction than I see the volunteers organizing paper in the ED. Plus I've put a good amount of time into this and truly enjoy it but would still like credit for it. I'm sure when I go to write my PS, this will be included. But is there also a spot on the application to account for the hours I've done? If not paid healthcare, then volunteer HCE?

Would this make a good LOR from my volunteer coordinator? Or should I stick with my paid employment clinical folks?

I would venture that an email/call/letter to the schools that interest you may give you better feedback that is more specific to your particular situation. I could sit out here in the ether world and tell stories of how my best friend's little sister's next door neighbor's 3rd cousin did what you're looking for but that isn't fair to you or the schools who may be interested in you. My personal opinion is that HCE should consist of laying hands on real people and having pointed medical discussions/interviews formed in the manner with intent to gather medical history/data. However, my opinion is not shared by all of the 140 (or so) PA schools that are currently in the system.

Guest guthriesm

Both Just Steve and PAMAC have some good points. I do similar volunteer work and it was listed on my CASPA but the organizer really couldn't have given me a good recommendation. I broke the mold- I did not have any PAs write a recommendation. I did have the medical director of the clinic I volunteered in doing phlebotomy write one but that is me interacting as a health care person not just a provider of soothing with my dog. Good luck!

Archived