What Are My Chances Of Getting In? High GPA w/ Only Pharmacy Tech Experience

Hi,

I am 22 years old and planning on applying to P.A. school hopefully next Fall. I am completing a Kinesiology science major and have a 3.9 GPA. I've worked as a Pharmacy Technician for approximately 5 years now but that is all the health care experience I have. I am planning on doing a volunteer internship at the hospital which will accumulate approximately 150+ hours of direct hands-on patient care. I'll also be looking for any more volunteer services I can do to boost my hours for experience. I know my grades are strong but the one thing I am obviously lacking is hands-on clinical experience.

So my questions is - what do you think my chances are of getting into P.A. school? I am hoping my high GPA will somewhat makeup for what I lack in clinical experience. I am wondering if the pharmacy tech. experience + my high GPA is enough or if I should spend more time becoming certified in a field such as EMT, medical assistant, etc. I am hoping to avoid this route if my chances of getting in with what I have is enough.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

I am 22 years old and planning on applying to P.A. school hopefully next Fall. I am completing a Kinesiology science major and have a 3.9 GPA. I've worked as a Pharmacy Technician for approximately 5 years now but that is all the health care experience I have. I am planning on doing a volunteer internship at the hospital which will accumulate approximately 150+ hours of direct hands-on patient care. I'll also be looking for any more volunteer services I can do to boost my hours for experience. I know my grades are strong but the one thing I am obviously lacking is hands-on clinical experience.

So my questions is - what do you think my chances are of getting into P.A. school? I am hoping my high GPA will somewhat makeup for what I lack in clinical experience. I am wondering if the pharmacy tech. experience + my high GPA is enough or if I should spend more time becoming certified in a field such as EMT, medical assistant, etc. I am hoping to avoid this route if my chances of getting in with what I have is enough.

Hi,

I think you have a good chance of landing an interview(s) so long as your personal statement and LORs are strong also. But it certainly doesn't hurt to get more experience and honestly, it shouldn't be approached as an inconvenience to obtain more hands-on patient care time. This is, after all, what you'll be doing as a PA. You are still young too and you have the time to acquire more experience which will also help you in seeing how interacting with patients suits you. This is not to dissuade you from applying now though if you're ready. Like I said, I do think you have a good chance of getting an interview.

Best of luck to you!

I think you have a good chance of landing an interview(s) so long as your personal statement and LORs are strong also. But it certainly doesn't hurt to get more experience and honestly, it shouldn't be approached as an inconvenience to obtain more hands-on patient care time. This is, after all, what you'll be doing as a PA. You are still young too and you have the time to acquire more experience which will also help you in seeing how interacting with patients suits you. This is not to dissuade you from applying now though if you're ready. Like I said, I do think you have a good chance of getting an interview.

Best of luck to you!

Best of luck to you!

I think your stats will get you an interview at any program that doesn't have a HCE requirement like Western U in Pomona, CA or Touro - Mares Island.

If I were in your shoes I'd do a quick EMT class like the unitek 2 week in Freemont or the 4 week CIEMT in Long Beach, or possibly just challenge the CNA exam and start on that direct patient contact HCE.

Make sure you got volunteering hours, a strong PS and solid LORs as well.

First I'd apply to programs that don't require HCE. While doing that I'd try and get that job quick and once you hit 500 hours apply to more programs that have recommended or a 500 min requirement before the deadline approaches. Id also update those programs with your up-to-date HCE hours along the way (maybe once a month) since your CASPA application will be locked once you submit it.

Essentially you have until the end of June for getting your application in to make the cutoff for rolling admissions.

It may be in your best interest to hold off for a year while getting some hands on HCE but its your call in the end.

Did you ever consider med school?

I think your stats will get you an interview at any program that doesn't have a HCE requirement like Western U in Pomona, CA or Touro - Mares Island.

If I were in your shoes I'd do a quick EMT class like the unitek 2 week in Freemont or the 4 week CIEMT in Long Beach, or possibly just challenge the CNA exam and start on that direct patient contact HCE.

First I'd apply to programs that don't require HCE. While doing that I'd try and get that job quick and once you hit 500 hours apply to more programs that have recommended or a 500 min requirement before the deadline approaches. Id also update those programs with your up-to-date HCE hours along the way (maybe once a month) since your CASPA application will be locked once you submit it.

Essentially you have until the end of June for getting your application in to make the cutoff for rolling admissions.

It may be in your best interest to hold off for a year while getting some hands on HCE but its your call in the end.

Best of luck to you!

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for responding & your advice. I guess I only see it as an inconvenience because it is another field I have to pursue before being able to do what I really would like to do. But it is understandable, and I am more than willing to take the steps necessary because I really feel this is the field I want to be in. But thank you again, I think I will apply as soon as I complete my major.

Take care. :)

Best of luck to you!

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for responding & your advice. I guess I only see it as an inconvenience because it is another field I have to pursue before being able to do what I really would like to do. But it is understandable, and I am more than willing to take the steps necessary because I really feel this is the field I want to be in. But thank you again, I think I will apply as soon as I complete my major.

Best of luck to you!

Hi Lisa,

Hi Timon,

Thanks for your response! Definitely will make sure to apply to schools that do not have a HCE requirement (I think there are a couple in California). Yes, I was considering holding off for a year to gain HCE. That is still a decision I am on the fence about. I'm surprised to hear of the 2 week EMT class you suggested... most EMT courses here are ~1 semester. Thank you for the input. I'll look into that.

I haven't considered Med School actually. I do enjoy the medical field/health sciences ever since I lucked into a job in pharmacy. I was previously interested in Physical Therapy but realized my heart wasn't in it.

I noticed you're a student at Touro University, Nevada. What were your stats?

Thanks for your advice again.

Hi Timon,

Thanks for your response! Definitely will make sure to apply to schools that do not have a HCE requirement (I think there are a couple in California). Yes, I was considering holding off for a year to gain HCE. That is still a decision I am on the fence about. I'm surprised to hear of the 2 week EMT class you suggested... most EMT courses here are ~1 semester. Thank you for the input. I'll look into that.

I haven't considered Med School actually. I do enjoy the medical field/health sciences ever since I lucked into a job in pharmacy. I was previously interested in Physical Therapy but realized my heart wasn't in it.

Hi Timon,

Med school seems like a good choice too since you're still young and not as strict of a requirement for HCE going in. If you decide on any additional courses or training (i.e, EMT, CNA) it's all relevant to your field, so time well-spent, IMO.

My EMT course was a semester long but I took it in the summer so it was essentially shorter being a summer course but still ran from end of May to beginning of Aug.

Good luck in your journey...

Med school seems like a good choice too since you're still young and not as strict of a requirement for HCE going in. If you decide on any additional courses or training (i.e, EMT, CNA) it's all relevant to your field, so time well-spent, IMO.

My EMT course was a semester long but I took it in the summer so it was essentially shorter being a summer course but still ran from end of May to beginning of Aug.

Hello I too am a pharmacy technician and have over 6+ years full time experience and last year I just had some volunteer experience at a hospital and other non healthcare settings and I got two interviews. I don't have the best GPA, but I feel my personal statement spoke my desire to become a PA and my letters of recommendation were also solid. I truly believe you can get an interview especially if you have a great GPA. This year I have added two new certifications as an EMT-B and CNA and I'm currently working as a CNA on weekends and volunteering still. Good luck to you!

Hello I too am a pharmacy technician and have over 6+ years full time experience and last year I just had some volunteer experience at a hospital and other non healthcare settings and I got two interviews. I don't have the best GPA, but I feel my personal statement spoke my desire to become a PA and my letters of recommendation were also solid. I truly believe you can get an interview especially if you have a great GPA. This year I have added two new certifications as an EMT-B and CNA and I'm currently working as a CNA on weekends and volunteering still. Good luck to you!

Lisa:

Three months is great! The EMT programs where I am from are about that length too. Definitely going to try and get certified in something this Fall... was thinking about Medical Assistant. I won't be applying for P.A. programs until Fall 2014 so I've got more time than I thought... was hoping this year but realized I've got a lot more to do. But yes, the training will definitely be well-spent and I'll feel much more comfortable applying to schools with more than Pharmacy Tech. experience.

Archived