Pre-PA student looking for shadowing hours in Orlando, FL

Hi there,

I have such a hard time to find a PA to shadow. Emailed, went directly to offices, everyone said "Sorry, we don't do it. Good luck!" So frustrating. I want to apply to Nova and SU as soon as possible, but shadowing a PA and recommendation letter from one is holding me back. I am 37, seeking a second degree, have four kids, and feel like my clock is ticking....If any one will suggest how to find a PA will you please email me at irinastearn@hotmail.com Thank you!

Hi there,

I have such a hard time to find a PA to shadow. Emailed, went directly to offices, everyone said "Sorry, we don't do it. Good luck!" So frustrating. I want to apply to Nova and SU as soon as possible, but shadowing a PA and recommendation letter from one is holding me back. I am 37, seeking a second degree, have four kids, and feel like my clock is ticking....If any one will suggest how to find a PA will you please email me at irinastearn@hotmail.com Thank you!

Hi there,

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I also encountered that same problem when I went to hospitals directly, I was told that I would need to be part of an affiliated school's program in order to have that opportunity. So I volunteered at the largest hospital, asked nurses and staff if they knew of any PAs working there. Luckily, the nurse who was administering my shots knew of ONE PA working in the Emergency Room. I found him, asked him directly if I could shadow him, and he became a huge influence in my process to become a PA. Try to think of other ways to find shadowing opportunities, ask other pre-med students, ask friends and family - someone has to know of a PA. Or you can do what I did and volunteer to get your foot in the door. 

Hope this helps.

Does your state have a statewide chapter of an association of PAs? For example, my state does and they had a list of PAs that work in state. I emailed all of them and got a response from two--a surgical PA who was absolutely amazing during my shadowing experience and another who I am still communicating with to confirm a date/time to shadow.

Archived