Personal Statement Question

For my personal statement I begin with how I was introduced to and became familiar with the medical field, is it better to begin a personal statement like this or is it better to start with a story in order to draw in the statement? Also, is it professional to name the PA I reference in my PS, even if it is just by first name? Thank you all.

For my personal statement I begin with how I was introduced to and became familiar with the medical field, is it better to begin a personal statement like this or is it better to start with a story in order to draw in the statement? Also, is it professional to name the PA I reference in my PS, even if it is just by first name? Thank you all.

Personal preference I'd say. Starting with it may seem a bit dry but ending with a story and leaving that as a final impression is never a bad thing. One other thing to consider is how much of your application will address how you were introduced and became familiar with medicine. I think that is why you see so many essays going with stories, because the emotional stories cannot be conveyed in the rest of the application. As far as naming the PA it should by fine as long as there isn't some way to directly figure out who you are talking about unless you know they are completely ok with it. I always try to avoid names in things like this but I know using names can make an essay flow a bit better.

Personal preference I'd say. Starting with it may seem a bit dry but ending with a story and leaving that as a final impression is never a bad thing. One other thing to consider is how much of your application will address how you were introduced and became familiar with medicine. I think that is why you see so many essays going with stories, because the emotional stories cannot be conveyed in the rest of the application. As far as naming the PA it should by fine as long as there isn't some way to directly figure out who you are talking about unless you know they are completely ok with it. I always try to avoid names in things like this but I know using names can make an essay flow a bit better.

Thank you for your response. With the name thing, it does make the essay flow better than saying "the PA." I also feels it makes the essay a tad more personal. As for the story I can see both ways working. I just don't want me PS to start off uneventful and have them skip over it but I also want to leave a good ending note.

Thank you for your response. With the name thing, it does make the essay flow better than saying "the PA." I also feels it makes the essay a tad more personal. As for the story I can see both ways working. I just don't want me PS to start off uneventful and have them skip over it but I also want to leave a good ending note.

You can always change the PA name...come up with a different name, it is only you who knows, so should be no problem there.

As far as essay is concerned. Think about your essay from the perspective of ADCOM who is reading hundreds of PS. You do not want to bore them to sleep. Write your essay, see how it flows, show to ten people, see what they think. Try to take their criticism constructively. But also make sure those people care. Comments like "yeah, this looks great" without any single remark... Hmm, makes me suspicious.

You can always change the PA name...come up with a different name, it is only you who knows, so should be no problem there.

As far as essay is concerned. Think about your essay from the perspective of ADCOM who is reading hundreds of PS. You do not want to bore them to sleep. Write your essay, see how it flows, show to ten people, see what they think. Try to take their criticism constructively. But also make sure those people care. Comments like "yeah, this looks great" without any single remark... Hmm, makes me suspicious.

Archived