How to Start Over?

I will be graduating my undergrad with two degrees - BS in human health and BA in social science. My gpa is approximately a 2.5, and my sGPA is probably around a 2.0. However, with a lot of work, I want to turn this around and start bringing my GPA up. I am very interested in public health, and am planning on taking some public health classes as a non-matriculant (I didn't apply because there was a 3.0 minimum). I also would like to start retaking my science classes, starting as soon as possible. Does anyone have any other advice for me?I am planning on taking some upper division level sciences as well, in addition to hopefully completing my masters in public health within the next 2 years. I really would appreciate any other advice anyone can give me.

I will be graduating my undergrad with two degrees - BS in human health and BA in social science. My gpa is approximately a 2.5, and my sGPA is probably around a 2.0. However, with a lot of work, I want to turn this around and start bringing my GPA up. I am very interested in public health, and am planning on taking some public health classes as a non-matriculant (I didn't apply because there was a 3.0 minimum). I also would like to start retaking my science classes, starting as soon as possible. Does anyone have any other advice for me?I am planning on taking some upper division level sciences as well, in addition to hopefully completing my masters in public health within the next 2 years. I really would appreciate any other advice anyone can give me.

I can't tell why your grades were as low as they were. I can't tell why (and when) you decided you want to become a PA. I assume that you know the underlying grade issue and have somehow gotten past it.

If it were me, I'd start by taking the prereqs over again and get significantly better grades, if you can. If you can't, it may be the universe telling you another career field would be better fit for you.

Good luck either way.

I can't tell why your grades were as low as they were. I can't tell why (and when) you decided you want to become a PA. I assume that you know the underlying grade issue and have somehow gotten past it.

If it were me, I'd start by taking the prereqs over again and get significantly better grades, if you can. If you can't, it may be the universe telling you another career field would be better fit for you.

Good luck either way.

Good luck either way.

First go shadow various PAs and get at minimum 40 hours of HCE.

Step 1: Add up your total units and quality points taken including classes you've retaken

Step 2: Figure out your total GPA

Step 3: Figure out how many units you need to take at a 4.0 to raise your cGPA above a 3.0 and a second one to reach a 3.4.

Step 4: Research programs in your area and see what classes you are still missing

Step 5: Find out the average accepted applicant GPA and HCE hours from those programs

Step 6: Enroll in your classes and maintain a 4.0 gpa

Step 7: Get a healthcare related job that is paid and gives you direct contact with patients (at minimum collecting vital signs) and gain at minimum 2000 hours

Step 8: Get a couple hundred hours volunteering

Step 9: Stay up to date on current events in PAdom

Step 10: Fill out your CASPA application when steps 1-8 have been completed including LORs from at least 1 PA

Step 11: Apply and hope you get an interview

Step 12: Interview and prove to them you're worthy of a spot and to be their future colleague

Step 13: If not accepted request feedback on what you need to improve on

Step 14: Repeat steps 1-12

Step 1: Add up your total units and quality points taken including classes you've retaken

Step 3: Figure out how many units you need to take at a 4.0 to raise your cGPA above a 3.0 and a second one to reach a 3.4.

Step 4: Research programs in your area and see what classes you are still missing

Step 5: Find out the average accepted applicant GPA and HCE hours from those programs

Step 7: Get a healthcare related job that is paid and gives you direct contact with patients (at minimum collecting vital signs) and gain at minimum 2000 hours

Step 10: Fill out your CASPA application when steps 1-8 have been completed including LORs from at least 1 PA

Step 12: Interview and prove to them you're worthy of a spot and to be their future colleague

Thank you very much to both of you. Unfortunately, my father passed away during my freshman year, which led to a downhill series of problems. I would rather not focus on that aspect, but focus on what I can become.

Luckily, I have definitely exceeded my HCE because I am currently an advanced emergency medical tech (very similar standing orders to a paramedic in my state), and have been for the last 3 years. I have both volunteered and worked as an EMT, and am (fingers crossed) in the process of interviewing for a job at a hospital's ER. I will be starting to shadow a PA as well, but I have other EC's, such as shadowing two doctors, doing a mental health internship, being part of a community outreach volunteering organization on campus, and maintaining at least one part-time job throughout my whole undergraduate career.

Needless to say, that is no where as important as my GPA, which is what I plan to focus on for the next 1-2 years. I am hoping to start retaking my pre-reqs as soon as this summer, and continue into the school year. If all goes well, I am hoping to maintain at least a 3.9 to bring up my GPA greatly.

My question to you both - would you recommend simply retaking my pre-reqs? Do you think that, in addition to good LOR's, EC's, and GRE's, would make me competitive enough to apply? Should I try to pursue a masters at the same time?

Thank you guys all for being understanding. I really appreciate it.

Thank you very much to both of you. Unfortunately, my father passed away during my freshman year, which led to a downhill series of problems. I would rather not focus on that aspect, but focus on what I can become.

Luckily, I have definitely exceeded my HCE because I am currently an advanced emergency medical tech (very similar standing orders to a paramedic in my state), and have been for the last 3 years. I have both volunteered and worked as an EMT, and am (fingers crossed) in the process of interviewing for a job at a hospital's ER. I will be starting to shadow a PA as well, but I have other EC's, such as shadowing two doctors, doing a mental health internship, being part of a community outreach volunteering organization on campus, and maintaining at least one part-time job throughout my whole undergraduate career.

Needless to say, that is no where as important as my GPA, which is what I plan to focus on for the next 1-2 years. I am hoping to start retaking my pre-reqs as soon as this summer, and continue into the school year. If all goes well, I am hoping to maintain at least a 3.9 to bring up my GPA greatly.

My question to you both - would you recommend simply retaking my pre-reqs? Do you think that, in addition to good LOR's, EC's, and GRE's, would make me competitive enough to apply? Should I try to pursue a masters at the same time?

Sorry to hear about your father. I'm sure that interfered with your studies. While the committee would likely understand, you would probably still need to demonstrate that you can master the work, so taking at least some of the prereqs again might be the best idea.

Again, making an appointment and going to talk with the academic advisor at a program you are interested in applying to is a good idea. You usually don't have to wait for the interview process to make a campus visit.

Your experience sounds good too. Good luck.

Sorry to hear about your father. I'm sure that interfered with your studies. While the committee would likely understand, you would probably still need to demonstrate that you can master the work, so taking at least some of the prereqs again might be the best idea.

Again, making an appointment and going to talk with the academic advisor at a program you are interested in applying to is a good idea. You usually don't have to wait for the interview process to make a campus visit.

Archived