What do i do?!

Hey everyone! I've had an account on the forum for a while but this is my first time logging in and seeing what it's all about! I have a couple of questions regarding my CASPA application:

1. I've been a teaching assistant for human anatomy since last summer and am just wondering if I should put that under leadership on the CASPA app?

2. Over winter break I went to Temple University in Philly where I was accepted into an internship program with their School of Podiatric Medicine. I shadowed DPMs and took part in gross anatomy classes. I am wondering if I should put the shadowing down even though it was with DPMS? also is there a place I could maybe list that I took gross anatomy classes (not for credit!)?

Any and all help would be appreciated! Good luck to everyone applying and congrats to those that have received acceptances from last cycle!

Did you get paid for your TA position? I have been an EMT TA for about five years, and I listed it under "other work experience" because while I felt that it was extremely relevant to my application, it didn't feel right to list it under leadership and I seem to remember that CASPA had somewhere in their instructions something about not adding things to more than one category. I was also a peer mentor (volunteer) for my fire academy, and that I listed under leadership.

I agree with above- TA is not a leadership position, it is work experience. Leadership is something like starting a student group, organizing a fundraiser, acting as class president, etc.

As for the second part of your question- an internship is probably work experience also, but your statement is not really clear what your role was at Temple University. If you were really just shadowing, than its not really an internship so I am not sure.

For the gross anatomy- you can't list classes that are not on your transcripts. You would be able to mention that you participated in whatever capacity when you describe your internship.

I agree with above- TA is not a leadership position, it is work experience. Leadership is something like starting a student group, organizing a fundraiser, acting as class president, etc.

As for the second part of your question- an internship is probably work experience also, but your statement is not really clear what your role was at Temple University. If you were really just shadowing, than its not really an internship so I am not sure.

For the gross anatomy- you can't list classes that are not on your transcripts. You would be able to mention that you participated in whatever capacity when you describe your internship.

Right right. Okay I see what you mean. I honestly don't know why they refer to it as an internship. It was kind of like a camp. We took seminars, watched surgeries, shadowed in clinics, and took the gross anatomy class. I decided to put it under shadowing and then talked about the details under "duties"

Right right. Okay I see what you mean. I honestly don't know why they refer to it as an internship. It was kind of like a camp. We took seminars, watched surgeries, shadowed in clinics, and took the gross anatomy class. I decided to put it under shadowing and then talked about the details under "duties"

Well for the first year I'm a voluntary TA but this summer I will start to get paid for my position. So maybe I should put it as community service? Thanks for your feedback

We have volunteer TAs at my school as well, and I would say that community service would be a good bet for that placement. Still not really "leadership" in my opinion, even though I see where you're going with it (leading the class by example, etc.).

Well for the first year I'm a voluntary TA but this summer I will start to get paid for my position. So maybe I should put it as community service? Thanks for your feedback

We have volunteer TAs at my school as well, and I would say that community service would be a good bet for that placement. Still not really "leadership" in my opinion, even though I see where you're going with it (leading the class by example, etc.).

Yea. I switched it over to community service. Just didn't feel right about putting it as leadership haha.

Yea. I switched it over to community service. Just didn't feel right about putting it as leadership haha.

Archived