TCs and Public Medical Emergencies

I grew up a Jr. Lifeguard and have been CPR certified since I was 12. Since I began driving I've always kept a med kit in my car and helped when I've seen a traffic accident or some type of emergency. I've done so still to this day.

Sometimes I've had discussions with other healthcare providers ranging from EMT-B to MD/DO and the majority say they drive by and don't pull over to help. Their fear is mainly due to getting sued. Now as an Emergency First Responder instructor I've always taught my students "adequate care provided is better than professional care withheld."

Ive been told by other healthcare providers that once I become a PA not to offer help when I see these situations (I live in So Cal) because its too easy to be sued.

So my question is, when I become a PA-C does it all end? Are we not supposed to help until BLS/ALS arrives? Ive heard stories about people getting sued (but most the time they didn't follow the proper procedures).

As long as you don't exceed your training you are fine. I keep a basic first aid kit in the car and would help if I came upon a significant mva. good samaritan laws in most states protect folks who act in good faith and within their scope of practice(so if you try burr holes at the side of the road for a post-traumatic headache you would not be covered....:) )

i have stopped at a few wrecks in my day...ok..more than a few, while off duty, in plains clothes, the only obvious indication being that I may have some training is that my scene report to the arriving crew was a bit more cohesive and complete than your average hippie. Never have I ever been asked my full name, what training I have, who I work for, what do I do for a living, or any other possible demographic that could be later used to track me down for the purpose of either suing or praising me. The one time I did get an award was because the crew i handed off the patient to were co workers of mine and were impressed with what I did so they nominated me.

I still fail to understand how off duty providers can get sued if they simply show up, perform with the expected pre hospital scope that they are comfortable with, hand over care, and walk away, keeping your mouth shut about what your background is. Even if you are asked by one of the responders, there is no legal requirement for you to tell them squat.

And yes, I do get consent before I start but that consists of "Hi, I'm a paramedic. It looks like you could use some help. Would you like me to help you? I don't hand them my business card or CV.

Archived