The long journey towards PA school...

Making progress towards the long journey of being ready to apply for PA school. I decided to complete my BSN in Nursing before applying to PA school. I feel that the training and patient care experience will make me a more well-rounded candidate. I've been debating between PA and NP for quite some time, but PA just appeals to me so much more than NP. I think getting the RN background will give me enough exposure to ensure I'm making the right decision. And, if anything should happen and I don't get into PA school, I've got a good career to fall back on.

I'm starting nursing school in the Fall and I'm very excited! :=D: I'm in a part-time program, so I'm still able to work on courses towards the Bachelor's degree and PA pre-reqs at the same time, while getting in paid HCE hours. 11 more semesters to go (about 4 years) before I'm completely done with the BSN. I feel like it's a LONG road ahead, but it will be well worth it, in the end.

Anyone else in the same boat with a long way to go before being able to apply?

Wow! There are lots of ways to get to your goal; I hope this way works for you.

If it were me -- and it isn't! -- and I had a BSN, I would certainly at least apply to an NP program. It's only another year (longer, I suppose, when they all start getting DNP degrees) and, at least in my part of the country, they are well-respected. The PA route is stronger clinically from what I see and I am happy with my career choice. BTW, I got my HCE through EMS while I kept my day job. (http://www.amazon.com/dp/1479372099/ref=tsm_1_fb_lk)

Good luck!

I am a nurse of over 5 years and starting the journey to apply to PA school/ starting prereqs. I think I will make a great PA because of the background I have. The route to NP school would definatly be easier for you and I but even though PA/NP share same roles in many settings the training is EXTREMELY different. I think Ill make a much better PA (hopefully working in a trauma center or ICU) if I sweat out several years of cadaver dissection and the sciences than writing research papers on nursing theories and outcomes (DNP will be a doctorate of research). Good luck in nursing school and beyond!

@UGoLong - I'm trying to keep an open mind on PA vs. NP. However, I am strongly leaning towards PA right now. It just seems like what I want to do.

@rnfromAZ - Thanks! I'm looking forward to starting the program. I agree, I think PA has the training that appeals to me. Good luck to you! When are you applying?

Archived