Interested in Nutrition & Alternative Healing

Hi everyone, this is my first post :)

I'm starting PA school in August and I couldn't be happier! I have always been interested in preventative medicine and healing with whole foods and healthy lifestyle choices. When I graduate I'd like to spend at least a couple of years working in Family Medicine, and I'd love to advise patients in nutrition and alternative therapies rather than just write them an Rx right away. I'm also very intrigued by Chinese medicine/ Aruveyda, etc. I don't have any formal training in any of the above, but was wondering if any programs exist for PA students or PAs to be educated in this stuff, as it isn't part of traditional medicine's curriculum. Also, is there a PA role that incorporates these holistic and alternative therapies?

Just to be clear- I wouldn't feel complete if I studied alternative medicine therapies without having a traditional medicine education. (In case you are wondering why I didn't just go to school for nutrition or chinese medicine :;;D:)

Thank you!

Prusha

Much of that stuff isn't covered in PA school because it isn't evidence-based. There are some alternative therapies that have evidence-based research behind them in certain applications(i.e. acupuncture) but those are generally regulated professions that require training and licensure. I would suggest spending some time browsing the literature while you're in PA school and then start looking at possible positions in integrative medicine, usually in places like cancer centers.

Most of the evidence based trained practioners who also offer Complimentary Alternative Medicine that I know continued their education after their initial liscensure. This consisted of seminars, classes and self study.

The twist as a PA is that your supervising physician has to agree with your approach to medicine. While they don't have to sign prescriptions per se' they do retain the right to fire you should you choose to give medical advice that they do not agree with.

Good luck in your endeavors

The PA I did my family practice rotation with was constantly offering suggested procedures such as neti pots. She would also suggest a variety of supplements and herbs. She was quick to say that they are things that may or may not help but taken in the suggested manner, they won't hurt. This was done in conjunction with offering evidence based treatment including Big Pharma produced drugs. The non evidence based suggestions are complimentary medical suggestions...not replacement for evidence based.

The PA I did my first ER rotation with called most of CAM "hippie voodoo crystal bull****"

Your SP can fire you, or simply revoke their supervisory status leaving you without an sp, thus out of a job, because it isTuesday and you wore black shoes. PAs are "at will" employees meaning they can be hired and fired at the sole discretion of your boss.

If you have a SP with whom you click with, awesome! If you take a job simply because you are scared that you can't find work and your SP relationship is strained, that sucks. You will end up spending your time in that practice performing medicine based on fear of your boss instead of the needs of the patient.

Archived