Path from civilian undergrad to Military PA

I recently graduated from college with my Bachelor's, and am looking at information about the IPAP and the military PA career. However, I have not found any substantial information about what it takes to get started from a blank slate. Is there a designated school that the military would send me to to get my PA certification? Would I be commissioned into a branch as an officer, and then immediately sent to study at that specific school or a school of my choosing? HELP! Confused!

I recently graduated from college with my Bachelor's, and am looking at information about the IPAP and the military PA career. However, I have not found any substantial information about what it takes to get started from a blank slate. Is there a designated school that the military would send me to to get my PA certification? Would I be commissioned into a branch as an officer, and then immediately sent to study at that specific school or a school of my choosing? HELP! Confused!

To go to ipap, you need to join a branch (most people picked are enlisted, but I don't think there is a rule against an officer applying), then apply and hope you get in. I don't advise it. Most likely would be doing something you are not fond of for a while.

You can go to a civilian school and apply for military scholarships, which are competitive, but better than ipap.

To go to ipap, you need to join a branch (most people picked are enlisted, but I don't think there is a rule against an officer applying), then apply and hope you get in. I don't advise it. Most likely would be doing something you are not fond of for a while.

You can go to a civilian school and apply for military scholarships, which are competitive, but better than ipap.

Last I checked the Navy only accepted enlisted members as IPAP applicants. I believe the Army takes Officer applicants but don't quote me on it. No clue about the Air Force. If I had to do it over again I would have enlisted before going to PA school for a variety of reasons. As it is, I got accepted to a civilian program and got picked up for the Navy's HPSP scholarship.

I can't speak for the other branches, but the AF is very competitive to get into. I did the Health Professions Scholarship Program (HPSP), which is the only direct route to go from civilian PA school to active duty (and have your tuition paid for you).

You can also go enlisted, but the people that I've met that went this route were staff sergeants or tech sergeants before being accepted to PA school (meaning they were generally in for 5+ years BEFORE even starting PA school). From what I understand, this route is not at all guaranteed and very political.

Needless to say, I chose the first option and don't regret it. :)

The Army accepts both officer and enlisted applicants. The Navy and Air Force only accept enlisted applicants, although I heard that the AF was considering accepting officer applicants as well, and may already be doing so.

The Air Force is now accepting IPAP applications from officers. We have our first group starting in August. In my opinion, a well qualified applicant has a better chance of selection for IPAP as opposed to a civilian school. I was accepted last year and the selection rate was just under 50%. This year 71% of all applicants were accepted. If you have all the prerequisites done before you enlist or commission (with competitive stats, of course), you can apply right at your two year mark.

It seems like there is some misinformation out there in regards to IPAP selection rates. Here is a link to the selection announcement for this year:

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123344227

It sounds like you're only citing AF figures - it's cool that the AF is so transparent about the process. When I was selected by the Navy, I knew that I was one of 15 selectees (plus one alternate) but I have no idea how many applied. But I tend to agree with you about the chances of getting in to IPAP versus a civilian program. Like you said, having your pre-reqs knocked out ahead of time would really speed things up, although in the Navy one must be an E-5 to apply (i.e., no two-year rule like it sounds like the AF has). What one really must consider is that IPAP ends up being a much greater service commitment than it initially seems like. Sure, the payback is 4 or 4.5 years after school, but when you factor in the years BEFORE school I think that most selectees fall in the 12-15 years of service range, and then it's just a short jump to a 20-year retirement. So while I don't think it's a bad route to take, I wouldn't advise someone to head down that path if they can't stomach the idea of doing the full 20 years. In my experience, virtually all IPAP'ers are "lifers," myself included.

I actually joined the Army NG with the explicit goal of going to IPAP. I enlisted in 2010. Became a medic - which I have loved. I served as a medic for a couple years while using my benefits to go back to school and take prerequisite courses. I applied for IPAP and was just accepted.

It can be done. You just need to work really hard and be realistic about how competitive you are going into it.

I actually joined the Army NG with the explicit goal of going to IPAP. I enlisted in 2010. Became a medic - which I have loved. I served as a medic for a couple years while using my benefits to go back to school and take prerequisite courses. I applied for IPAP and was just accepted.

It can be done. You just need to work really hard and be realistic about how competitive you are going into it.

• 6 months later...

IPAP is pretty confusing to apply for - you are better off applying for a civilian PA program and doing a scholarship through a specific branch of service. I believe IPAP has its own website where you apply through.

KLC - The Navy currently has roughly 15 seats left for HSCP, which is a little different the HPSP - they will give you E6 base pay and housing and you owe three years after. You can go to any recruiting office to get the details. ****Make sure you are ONLY going to the medical recruiting office - if you go to the enlisted/gen off stations you will probably get jerked around a tad bit!

• 2 weeks later...

My son just graduated Navy Corpsman school with the eventual goal of becoming a PA. (A goal we have in common!) So what I'm hearing here is that the better choice would be for him to serve out his contract, go to a civilian PA school, then come back in as an officer rather than applying for the joint services military PA program (I think this is what you guys are calling IPAP)?

He's dong his own limited research but he is still young and presently consumed by his current activities. So basically, I'm just asking for my own curiosity. 

(This is my first post back here in quite some time and I just happened upon this thread and haven't searched, so forgive me if I'm asking a repetitive question)

***And sorry Kelly, for the hijack! 

I'm at IPAP now. The Navy has a few E4s and E5s in the program.
If your son is interested, he just has to make excellent grades on his prereqs, ace the SAT, get great letters of recommendation.

I would argue that it isn't as hard to get into IPAP as some people make it out to be. And once you are in, it is a great opportunity.

Archived