Contract to be signed 3 months after starting?

New grad here. I verbally accepted a family medicine job 2 weeks ago. (To extend into an urgent care facility in 1 month). Today, I called and asked if I would be receiving an offer package from the clinic because I have yet to hear from them since I accepted the offer. We already spoke about the offer verbally and agreed on:

$50/hr, guaranteed 40 hrs/wk

Malpractice

2-weeks paid vacation

Employed, not an independent contractor

The clinic responded to my question by stating that they do not give offer packages. When I asked, when I can expect to sign the contract, the office manager said that employees sign the contract 3 months after working at the clinic to ensure that I wish to continue working at the clinic. Thoughts? Is this the norm because I was under the impression that contracts are signed prior to starting work. Any advice would be much appreciated.

New grad here. I verbally accepted a family medicine job 2 weeks ago. (To extend into an urgent care facility in 1 month). Today, I called and asked if I would be receiving an offer package from the clinic because I have yet to hear from them since I accepted the offer. We already spoke about the offer verbally and agreed on:

$50/hr, guaranteed 40 hrs/wk

Malpractice

2-weeks paid vacation

Employed, not an independent contractor

The clinic responded to my question by stating that they do not give offer packages. When I asked, when I can expect to sign the contract, the office manager said that employees sign the contract 3 months after working at the clinic to ensure that I wish to continue working at the clinic. Thoughts? Is this the norm because I was under the impression that contracts are signed prior to starting work. Any advice would be much appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

They may expect you to work as an independent contractor for the first 3 months and if you like the facility and vice versa, they would then offer you a permanent position.

If that is the case, you still need to sign paperwork as an Independent contractor and you would need to make sure you have malpractice coverage with them etc..

They may expect you to work as an independent contractor for the first 3 months and if you like the facility and vice versa, they would then offer you a permanent position.

If that is the case, you still need to sign paperwork as an Independent contractor and you would need to make sure you have malpractice coverage with them etc..

They should at least e-mail you an "Intent to hire" letter. A 3-month probationary period comes with any job but you still should know contract restrictions such as "non-compete clause," hourly now or are they going to change it to exempt (salaried) position in that 3 months, minimum resignation notice, etc... They can put the 90-day prob period in writing too. You need a contract.

They should at least e-mail you an "Intent to hire" letter. A 3-month probationary period comes with any job but you still should know contract restrictions such as "non-compete clause," hourly now or are they going to change it to exempt (salaried) position in that 3 months, minimum resignation notice, etc... They can put the 90-day prob period in writing too. You need a contract.

Archived