Disaster Response

Good article.

A couple of my thoughts...

1. I can only hope that Americans are as "ready" as this article makes us sound like, but I doubt it. This happened in Boston, among a group of athletes and their fans. Furthermore, despite our understandable emotions surrounding this cowardly terror attach, it was relatively limited in scope. Two small bombs in a major city does not shut down the infrastructure of the city, let alone the state or nation. Three dead and 170 people wounded is bad, but these numbers pale in comparison to the dead during OKC, or just in the WTCs.

2. This happened in Boston where there are at least six (Tufts, Brigham, MGH, Harvard, Beth Israel, Boston Medical) level 1 trauma centers just a few minutes away. Plus it happened during an event where the Incident Command System was already implemented, and where the hospitals were able to get (near) real-time information from the media. While there certainly has been a paradigm shift in disaster management in the major urban area hospitals, imagine if this happened at remote, small town America hours away from the closest Trauma center.

Good article.

A couple of my thoughts...

1. I can only hope that Americans are as "ready" as this article makes us sound like, but I doubt it. This happened in Boston, among a group of athletes and their fans. Furthermore, despite our understandable emotions surrounding this cowardly terror attach, it was relatively limited in scope. Two small bombs in a major city does not shut down the infrastructure of the city, let alone the state or nation. Three dead and 170 people wounded is bad, but these numbers pale in comparison to the dead during OKC, or just in the WTCs.

2. This happened in Boston where there are at least six (Tufts, Brigham, MGH, Harvard, Beth Israel, Boston Medical) level 1 trauma centers just a few minutes away. Plus it happened during an event where the Incident Command System was already implemented, and where the hospitals were able to get (near) real-time information from the media. While there certainly has been a paradigm shift in disaster management in the major urban area hospitals, imagine if this happened at remote, small town America hours away from the closest Trauma center.

Archived