I'm about to be fired :(

Hi Lemon Bars,

I can emphasize with you. I was a scribe once too and it was so tough at the beginning; but the nice thing was that they knew we would be super slow in the beginning, so they would see how we'd do after 3 months (not after 5x! that is unfortunate). i don't think any of the new scribes were able to write down EVERYTHING accurately after until 3-6 months into it. My suggestion is to learn how to use the computer system. I used EPIC which allowed me to use a lot of smart phrases (saves SO MUCH time). Also learn and make up as many abbreviations as you can. i find that it saves a lot of time!

For example:

+= positive

- = negative

v=vomit

c=cough

n=nausea

ed=edema

DM=diabetes

sm- smoke

bb=blood

htn= high bb pressure

10= tenderness

LBM= last bowel movement

px= pain

nvi= neurovascular intact

So for example in my notes I'd write (we didn't have tablets/laptops): something like +n, -v, +bb in u = patient has nausea, but no vomiting. has hematuria...

i suggest practicing at home; ask your trainer to help you out with practicing how to write the pt hx. for example, mine would give me hw assignments and she would critique what i write. i would also go into the ER early to practice with their computer system. being a scribe is very stressful...even our best scribe always seemed to be hyper and paranoid if the doc leaves her sight, but i think that alert attitude helped her catch every little detail.

if it doesn't go well, maybe you can try CNA since it's a fast route in getting HCE.

I feel ya, aching from boosting up 500 lb patients, too! Is it possible your vision is impacting your imputting time? Just asking cause that could be tricky. Are you allowed to carry a recorder at all?

Don't know the size of your facility, but I know in ours there are extremely varied aide positions. I'm in a way too busy spot, but at least there aren't 20 patients on vents. We have a portion of the ER though where it is almost otherwordly for aides: they almost have to move 20 feet during their whole shift!!! I do wonder if they are also paid less...tstill, wish I had gotten in on that. Point: you will not usually have much time to do much of anything thing interesting as an aide, but different areas have differing degrees of stress. Also, if there is something you know will be happening and you want to observe, do ask the nurse and let your co-workers know where you will be so they can get you if needed. This is also good so you can access "will I really be able to do that myself?"

Good luck, hope they can give you some time to do some looking around. Maybe find out if you can get onto the ER per diem list as a CNA quickly if the writing is really on the wall so you have some breathing room.

Archived