Am I competitive enough for PA school?

Hello everyone,

I just decided that PA school sounds like a very good option for me. However, I am worried. First off, I am an Animal Science major (weird, I know since I should've picked something more relevant to studying humans). Anyhow, I have taken most my prereqs already at a community college with at least a B average or above. Does that look bad taking the prereqs for PA school at a community college?

My overall GPA combined is a 3.50.

My gpa at community college: 3.75

My gpa at the university I attend: 3.25 (very low, I go to Cornell which is insanely difficult and I took mostly science courses. Means in a lot of courses are a B-). I have one C+ on my transcript from Animal Reproduction and Development :(

Prereq GPA: 3.60 (I still need to take Orgo and Medical Terminology).

I have medical experience mostly with animals (private clinic, shelter, lab). However, I plan to take a CNA/EMT course and work for a year while finishing my prereqs. I also plan to shadow a PA. I have also done my own research, but it's not relevant to PA school. Should I mention this research? It's research on how corticosterone affects bird behavior in tropical savannah habitat. How worried should I be? I am looking to apply to University of Pittsburgh and Chatham University. I am also half hispanic, I'm not sure if being a minority makes me anymore competitive.

Anyhow some classes I took at Cornell that may be somewhat relevant to PA school:

Toxicology, Animal Nutrition, Domestic Animal Biology, Animal Reproduction, Animal Genetics, Immunology, Animal Growth/Development, Animals in Biomedical Research, Independent Study in Nutrition Management (for people with diabetes).

-Most of these courses have involved studying the human to some extent. As an Animal Science major, I learned most animal systems and learned the human system as well.

With a solid personal narrative and LORs, you stand a good chance of landing an interview in my opinion. Once you're invited to interview, it will boil down to your interpersonal skills and ability to articulate your thoughts clearly and intelligently. In short, the only way to know if you stand a chance of getting in is to apply! Good luck!

Archived