New Grad Derm Offer

sounds very low. if you really want it work in some kind of expected salary increase scale because that is way below market for a pa in any specialty.

also get "performance goals" in writing.

what about retirement, state licenses, dea, etc

all the derm PAs I know make over twice that(granted, with experience).

see here for some ideas of general ranges:

http://nurse-practitioners-and-physician-assistants.advanceweb.com/Features/Articles/National-Salary-Report-2011.aspx

I spoke to a girl who had graduated last year and was making 90k M-Thurs in Derm. She had received that offer while she was still in her rotations, just after doin her Derm rotation with that particular clinic.

No idea about vacation, CME, health insurance though. But she did seem very VERY happy. Hope this helps

I have 3 friends who work in derm. they all started with a large hmo (kaiser), got their training there and left after a few years for the big bucks elsewhere.

there are several different types of derm practices and different pay arrangements.

some folks work straight salary and others work salary + production bonuses. some do just cosmetic derm while others focus more on skin cancer and other pathology.

all 3 work 4 days/week and get salary + production based on # of procedures done, time 1st assisting MOHS procedures, etc.

all make well over 125k/yr with 5 + yrs of experience.

Hi there, I started my current Derm job as a new grad and I recommend that you strongly consider accepting this offer.

Unlike other specialties, it is difficult to enter this field as a new graduate. You will be getting GREAT experience if you will be doing both general dermatology and learning how to assist Mohs surgeons. If you are certain that you will be closely trained and supervised, this offer is NOT BAD.

In 1-2 years of experience, you are going to command a large salary. Obviously, you should counter a higher salary, but I would think of this as a short term sacrifice for long term gain.

Archived