Help getting into PA school please!

Hi I am new to this forum, and was wondering if I could get some help with what to work on to be competitive in getting into PA school. A little about myself: I am currently in the process of finishing my sophomore year of my undergrad. After this semester my GPA should be a little above a 3.0, which I know is on the lower side. The reason for my low GPA is due to losing my father and grandmother to cancer my freshman year, which took a huge toll on me and my studies. Fortunately, my last semester GPA was a 4.0, with this semester I expect to be the same. Seeing how the PAs, treated my family and I during their last days is what lead me to want to pursue this profession. I am currently in the process of taking all of my pre-reqs needed for my chosen schools, as well as shadowing two PAs this summer. I have about 300 volunteer hours, 2500 HCE, am on my schools Judicial Board, as well as captain of my track team. Being from a Underserved community, I would want to practice in a Underserved community. Any advice on what to work on would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for your time.

Sounds to me like you're a well rounded person and taking the right steps to become a qualified applicant. Keep working to improve your GPA, and do as well as possible in your prerequisite classes. I think schools will be more forgiving of your bad grades during a difficult time if you continue to do well from now onward. Keep acquiring volunteer hours and HCE too. Your other activities sound great as well! I would also suggest reading through previous posts on the pre-PA thread for additional information.

Archived