Has "Sequestration" affected your practice?

I'm active duty and my clinic is putting all our civlians (an RN, a nutritionist, 2 dental hygienists, 2 front desk people, 2 referrals people) on furlough 1 day a week. A friend of mine in an IHS hospital in Alaska had her entire dept shut down and everyone laid off. It's scary out there in the public sector.

Yup. Same deal as trout. Furloughs of civilian staff which our behavioral health section is predominantly comprised of. Additionally, I had a Soldier who came forward addicted to heroin after some fairly significant childhood and war related PTSD who started once his wife left him. Him, his ASAP counselor, and I all wanted to send him inpatient. Everyone fought it to save money and put him in an outpatient program. They wanted him to go through withdrawals in the barracks as well so his buddies could wipe his butt for him while he was crapping the bed. I got him inpatient for that at least. But they discharged him and sent him to an outpatient program. Historically the relapse rates of outpatient programs are >50% but if the patient goes to inpatient they have a >70% success rate. He was a good kid who had an excellent record up until this. Add the fact that since he came forward of his own free will he is being retained. When me and my GMO fought for him to go inpatient, they told us we were, "too aggressive" and "emotionally involved" which is code for, "we'll do a behavioral health impaired provider on you if you keep this up". We are so broke that mobilizing resources to help those in need is out of the question. You either survive the system as it is or you are a victim. Really disheartening and sad.

Yup. Same deal as trout. Furloughs of civilian staff which our behavioral health section is predominantly comprised of. Additionally, I had a Soldier who came forward addicted to heroin after some fairly significant childhood and war related PTSD who started once his wife left him. Him, his ASAP counselor, and I all wanted to send him inpatient. Everyone fought it to save money and put him in an outpatient program. They wanted him to go through withdrawals in the barracks as well so his buddies could wipe his butt for him while he was crapping the bed. I got him inpatient for that at least. But they discharged him and sent him to an outpatient program. Historically the relapse rates of outpatient programs are >50% but if the patient goes to inpatient they have a >70% success rate. He was a good kid who had an excellent record up until this. Add the fact that since he came forward of his own free will he is being retained. When me and my GMO fought for him to go inpatient, they told us we were, "too aggressive" and "emotionally involved" which is code for, "we'll do a behavioral health impaired provider on you if you keep this up". We are so broke that mobilizing resources to help those in need is out of the question. You either survive the system as it is or you are a victim. Really disheartening and sad.

That is so effed up Nate, you are a better man than I am serving in today's Army......I recall that a medic's job was to put his azz on the line for his patient and the commander stood by you for doing just that! We can squawk together next Saturday.

Archived