Women PAs? & starting families?

Guest marcia261

Guest sujrubio

You are not going to be able to work....during didactics you have freedom to go to the library, etc. and study any subject you do not understand. When you get to clinicals that will be almost impossible. Your lab coat pockets are going to be bulging with slips of paper you jotted info down to remember.

This is your future...and you and your child are going to sacrifice alot (time together, sleep, fun, SANITY) to get to the end point...which is worth it, but don't add the money issue into it. The stress will be high enough already. Take the plunge and get a loan to cover you for the rest of your school time.

Also, I had a couple with a small son in my class....they did not plan daycare options well once they got to clinicals...make sure you have thought this area through well...many times I slept at the library because it made more sense to get 3 hrs of sleep there than waste 1 hr driving back and forth to school.

If you don't have a part time option locally and can't travel to one that meets your needs, then I have to agree with azgal and sujrubio. You won't be able to work while in a full time program. While motivation and good time management can take you far, there is only so much time during the day. You must make grades (always harder than it sounds, even for those of us who breezed through undergrad) make time for your child (who I assume has homework of her own and activities) and make time for sleep.

As for loans, very few people have that kind of money burning a hole in their pockets. Is there a particular reason you are reluctant to get one?

Stephanie

Stephanie,

Thanks for the information. I'm in NYC I looked into part time programs and their aren't any in NYC. I was just concern about paying the bills. I don't know if I could get through the 2years without money. And I really don't want to get a loan and don't know if I could get a loan.

Cheryl

Everyone can get a stafford loan, it is thru the government and has nothing to do with credit. The max for graduate school is 18,000. If you're looking into a Bachleor program then the undergrad amount might apply, not sure I would ask the financial aid dept. The federal plus loan is sort of a hybrid of personal and government, there is a credit review, but is supposed to be more lenient than a typical education loan thru a bank. Not sure if this is your concern, but thought I would share. Plus, there is always a co-signer. I was mortified when I looked at the numbers for my first year loan, but as previously stated it is an investment in your future that is well worth the debt, and it is viewed as a good debt. Cost of living is included in the awarded loan amount, you just have to set a strict budget and you'll be fine. :)

Guest wanttobeapa

Thanks for all the helpful information. I believe this is my true calling and so I guess with this calling comes some debt. I truly appreciate all the advice. Thanks

Cheryl

• 3 years later...

I am a second year PA student with questions about when to start a family.

My husband and I were thinking about trying for a baby to be born right after graduation.

PRO:I would already have about 6 weeks off anyways to get everything through the state for certification and I could start a job not being pregnant.

CON: I don't know if there could be complications and I could be put on bed rest. I would only get 6 weeks, instead of the 2-3 months possibilty

So then we thought that we could try for just a few months before graduation, Has anybody done this? Are people willing to hire a new grad who is pregnant?

I was also wondering how that works with insurance, and if my new insurance would cover pregnancy as long as I had insurance previously?

Any advise would be great!!!

• 1 year later...

Azgal, thank you so much for all of your tips! My son survived me going through four years of nursing school. Now that I have decided to continue on to PA school, I have this knot in my stomach thinking am I really going to do this again!? He will be of school age now though, so I'm hoping that will help since he will have a little homework to do himself! I especially like your idea to celebrate your quizzes and tests with your kids :-)

Archived