Pre-PA conference at USC

Unfortunately I'm a few years from getting my bachelors degree so I won't be able to apply any time soon. It sounds like a great conference and I'm hoping to learn a lot about the PA profession as well as meet some great people. PM me if you would like to meet up or just exchange contacts. We all need to help each other out when we can. Justboogie: Last I heard the tickets were sold out but there may be an alternate list in case of cancelations. I was sent the link by a friend of a friend who is a PA and has spoken at USC in the past. She had GREAT things to say about the conference. The link is here. https://futurepa.eventbrite.com/

The conference was fantastic. Talks on how to interview and what they look for, how to pay for PA school, navigating CASPA, Writing good personal statements, different paths to PA school, personal statements, shadowing and where to find PAs to shadow, as well as Q and A from PAs and current PA students. There was an amazing ammount of information and what I got out of the conference may not be the same as what others got out of it. I am early in my path to PA school so a few of the things that really stuck with me are.

1. Work WHILE you are in school if at all possible. The Women that spoke performs admissions interviews and placed a huge emphasis on this.

2. Learn Spanish. Not only is this sought after in Southern California (requirement at USC) but is huge in any PA program in the west if not the whole country.

3. Paying for PA school is absolutely possible for ANYONE. Aside from a few sites and links we were given, they talked about a program that will pay for your PA school in full if you offer an equal ammount in years schooling to an equal ammount in years serving in a highly underserved area.

4. Interviews are terrifying. An interviewer spoke on how she purposefully flusters and intimidates interviewees to see how they react under pressure. She was very professional, helpful and especially terrifying.

5. On CASPA website the "help" button is your friend. I didn't realize how much information is actually on the CASPA site already regarding prerequisites, dates, everything ever, use it soon and often.

There is much much more but these are just a few of the main points that really stuck with me. It sounds like they are hoping to do it again next year and if you can attend I would highly recommend it.

The conference was fantastic. Talks on how to interview and what they look for, how to pay for PA school, navigating CASPA, Writing good personal statements, different paths to PA school, personal statements, shadowing and where to find PAs to shadow, as well as Q and A from PAs and current PA students. There was an amazing ammount of information and what I got out of the conference may not be the same as what others got out of it. I am early in my path to PA school so a few of the things that really stuck with me are.

1. Work WHILE you are in school if at all possible. The Women that spoke performs admissions interviews and placed a huge emphasis on this.

2. Learn Spanish. Not only is this sought after in Southern California (requirement at USC) but is huge in any PA program in the west if not the whole country.

3. Paying for PA school is absolutely possible for ANYONE. Aside from a few sites and links we were given, they talked about a program that will pay for your PA school in full if you offer an equal ammount in years schooling to an equal ammount in years serving in a highly underserved area.

4. Interviews are terrifying. An interviewer spoke on how she purposefully flusters and intimidates interviewees to see how they react under pressure. She was very professional, helpful and especially terrifying.

5. On CASPA website the "help" button is your friend. I didn't realize how much information is actually on the CASPA site already regarding prerequisites, dates, everything ever, use it soon and often.

There is much much more but these are just a few of the main points that really stuck with me. It sounds like they are hoping to do it again next year and if you can attend I would highly recommend it.

Wow sounds like a great conference. Is there anything like that for East Coasters?

Thanks for sharing

Archived