pre-pa pref undergraduate degree

hello everyone i just graduated with my AA and have done alot of science classes already i was wondering if there are any current pas or pa students that can shine some light on some undergraduate degrees they earned before going to pa school, i know typically most choose biology or chemistry major but i was looking into nutrition or exercise physiology are those well undergrad degrees and will i have a chance to be accepted into grad school? btw i live in florida just to have an idea of where i will be attending school

I majored in biochemistry, but one of my friends majored in Italian and English and she's in PA school now. As long as you do well in the pre-req classes, have a good GPA, and have good letters of rec you'll be a competitive applicant. Be careful, because some schools don't accept credits from community colleges. Also, make sure that you get a lot of health care experience! Some schools require up 2000 hours.

Thank you for your reply I heard diff responses from diff students some say you don't have any chance without a science major others say the undergrad doesn't matter... But hearing that a Italian major made it to pa school is awesome

Any degree is beneficial as long as you take the required pre-reqs, but in some cases many realize that getting a heavy science degree include the pre-reqs needed and there is no need to spend more money taking extra classes that may not go towards your degree.

For example:

Business Major:

Hypothetical, need 30 science credits for pre-requirements. None of these classes will count towards your degree plan as a business major, it will just cost you more.

Biochemistry Major:

30 science pre-requirments are all also needed for your degree plan and as well as classes needed for some graduate program, so it would inevitably save more money this way.

Also, one can take some pre-reqs at the CC level to save money as well, but this comes with taking upper-lvl science courses to prove that you can do well.

Archived