PA and Army reserves

How does one go about this, and is anyone currently in the reserves? I'm wanting to pursue PA school, but would also to like to join the army reserves. I doubt any small private practice or even large for that matter will hire me - is this the general consensus considering the possible months that I could possibly be deployed. I know they're not suppose to discriminate or let someone go because by law, but I have a hard time believing someone will hire me if I was in the reserves. Do PA's solely work for hospitals rather than private practice? Sorry I'm a noob to all this, and if that's possible are there any really competing salaries hospital programs offer compared to private practice?

Reserves requires 9 or more weeks of basic training with possible delay between your AIT (Unless you are Infantry... then its just an about face) and then X amount of weeks of AIT (Advanced individual training) You would also be enlisted until you finished PA school. So my advice would be to get through all your reserve training and then apply to PA school, or get through PA school and then join reserves. You will still have two weeks of feild Exercises a year and one weekend a month.(possibly more than one weekend a month) I could not imagine missing that many days in PA school. Why dont you wait till you are done with PA school??? Then you would be an officer? Just thinking PA school and reserves at the same time does not make sense.

Reserves requires 9 or more weeks of basic training with possible delay between your AIT (Unless you are Infantry... then its just an about face) and then X amount of weeks of AIT (Advanced individual training) You would also be enlisted until you finished PA school. So my advice would be to get through all your reserve training and then apply to PA school, or get through PA school and then join reserves. You will still have two weeks of feild Exercises a year and one weekend a month.(possibly more than one weekend a month) I could not imagine missing that many days in PA school. Why dont you wait till you are done with PA school??? Then you would be an officer? Just thinking PA school and reserves at the same time does not make sense.

That is my plan, joining the reserves AFTER PA achool not before or during. My question was in regards to employment.

Oh then legally they cannot discriminate against you for being military and having duty requirements. They even have to hold your position for you (if you do get deployed) until you return. Unless you resign... they cannot terminate you even if you are deployed for up to 2 years. I would not worry about deployments or what jobs will discriminate against you. I would just apply to the best jobs you think will fit you and your lifestyle and if they think you are great they will work with you with all your reserve commitments.

What branch out of curiosity?

Archived