Should I retake Gen Bio 2?

Hi everyone, I've read some mixed opinions about these types of situations, and was wondering if anyone can give me feedback.

I took Gen Bio II in Spring 2011. I was going through some personal struggles, and earned a C. I took some other classes that same semester like Psychology (A) and Calc II (B+), but this particular course was giving me such a hard time. I couldn't devote enough time to it to study properly.

Since then, I've taken a few upper level science courses and earned higher grades: Genetics (A-), Cell Bio (A), Human A&P 1+2 (A/A-), Gen Chem 1+2 A/A, Organic Chem 1 (A-), Ecology (A), and others.

As of now, my cumulative GPA is 3.72, and I'm doing an Undergraduate Research project hoping to get a publication or present at NCUR next Spring.

Do you guys think I should retake Bio II to try to get a higher grade? Or should I just discuss why I got such a horrible grade in my personal statements/interviews?

Aside from my grades, I volunteer at a hospital, just completed an EMT-B course (will be applying for jobs once I take state exams), and feel that I will have strong LORs.

I am just really concered about whether or not this C would eliminate my chances of ever getting into a PA program.

Thanks

Hi everyone, I've read some mixed opinions about these types of situations, and was wondering if anyone can give me feedback.

I took Gen Bio II in Spring 2011. I was going through some personal struggles, and earned a C. I took some other classes that same semester like Psychology (A) and Calc II (B+), but this particular course was giving me such a hard time. I couldn't devote enough time to it to study properly.

Since then, I've taken a few upper level science courses and earned higher grades: Genetics (A-), Cell Bio (A), Human A&P 1+2 (A/A-), Gen Chem 1+2 A/A, Organic Chem 1 (A-), Ecology (A), and others.

As of now, my cumulative GPA is 3.72, and I'm doing an Undergraduate Research project hoping to get a publication or present at NCUR next Spring.

Do you guys think I should retake Bio II to try to get a higher grade? Or should I just discuss why I got such a horrible grade in my personal statements/interviews?

Aside from my grades, I volunteer at a hospital, just completed an EMT-B course (will be applying for jobs once I take state exams), and feel that I will have strong LORs.

I am just really concered about whether or not this C would eliminate my chances of ever getting into a PA program.

Thanks

getting a C will NOT eliminate your chances of getting into a PA program. That being said, whether or not you retake depends on the programs you want to apply to. Some require a B or above in every prerequisite, others require a 3.0 in prerequisites, others require only an overall 3.0, and still others require a science gpa of 3.0 or above. I would look into the programs you are interested in and make your decision based upon their guidelines. If they state a B or better in prerequisites (and Bio II is one of their listed prerequisites), then you would have to retake. Otherwise, if you have a 3.72, I don't think a single C is going to hurt you much.

Archived